Carrying 8x4 plywood & plasterboard

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat

Reaction score
As the title suggests I occasionally need to carry 8x4 sheets of ply/plasterboard. Given the width between the wheel arches is less than 1200mm its not as easy as it should be.

Any bright ideas on the best way to carry say 10 sheets of plasterboard (~200kg)?

One idea was a basic removable frame made of 4x2's to raise the floor height by 20cm and be able to use the full tray width. M16 coach bolts should slide into the rails on the tray to hold the frame down.

Is this the simplest way to go for something i'll use a handful of times a year? other suggestions welcome...

I would put a sheet of ply on the bottom, resting on the wheel arches in front and on the (closed) tailgate at the back.

Then put the plasterboard on top and tie everything down properly, including at the back so it cannot slide out when driving uphill.

If I recall correctly, one of the Aussie built utes, Falcon I think, had bars that slotted into the sides of the tub to do what you suggest. Can’t think why it wouldn’t work.

Sheet of ply under the board sounds easier.

@redkite - Yeah, agree a sheet of ply sitting on the wheel arches and tailgate is simple but it's pretty easy to stuff the edges of plasterboard if it slips a little bit so I'd rather transport it level if possible.

@gunmetalgrey - hmmmm, good thinking! Could just trim & join a couple of sheets of 17mm ply so they slid into the rails on the side... Or for more strength a frame of 4x2's with coachbolts that slide into the side rails.

Cheers for the help...

In regards to protecting the edges of plasterboard, I use those very strong cardboard protectors that are commonly used during the transport of goods. They spread the load of the tie-downs across a larger area, so you can tie or strap more securely. There's a better than even chance you can get some from your local Bunnings store for free, just ask at the trade exit. A lot of the stuff they receive ships with them and they just go in the bin.

Latest posts

Back