Buyers Remorse

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mavris

Reaction score
Hi

After purchasing a Nissan Navara D40 4*4 Diesel dual cab, only a couple days ago, im suffering from a little buyers remorse. So i thought to myself why not join a forum and have a few members tell me that id done the right thing.

I purchased the vehicle to benefit from the tax depreciation but I found myself rushing into the purchase and now im not quite sure if that was such a smart thing to do. I guess i say this simply because i didnt have more time to research the various manufacturer brands. The ute's going to be used for towing and some off road work.

I've been told that its worth chipping but not sure what chip to use. I've had a look on ebay and found the following; Power Box CR Diesel Tuning Chip NISSAN Navara 2.5 Dci:eBay Motors (item 230397189859 end time Jan-07-10 09:14:32 PST)

does anyone know about these chips and if they are any good. Also I found a gps unit touch screen on ebay, does anyone know if these units are any good CAR RADIO DVD PLAYER GPS NISSAN NAVARA QASHQAI X-TRAIL - eBay Players, Audio, Video, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 03-Jan-10 17:13:05 AEDST)

any feedback would be great..

Thanks

Welcome mate, What about the car are you doubting? We all did our research and bought our Nav's for various reasons. I love mine.

I have a steinbauer chip, personally I wouldn't use an ebay power box one, that isn't for any educated reason, I just prefer to stick with whats been tried and tested.

For offroad work they could really use a 2 inch suspension lift, though so do the other manufacturers. Also look into TJM's underbody guards, they are cheap insurance.

Go through our sheds and see what sort of stuff we have done to ours to get some idea's.

I hope you are happy with it.

Cheers
Matt

Not really worth chipping unless you change the exhaust, did you buy a manual or auto?

Hey Mavris, welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you will be happy with the truck.

Welcome aboard!

If you bought it for towing (and it's an auto), you'll find that it's quite capable. We're currently sitting in Mudgee NSW in our 18' caravan having just hauled it from Newcastle, down to Melbourne via Bateman's Bay/Bega/Eden/Orbost, past the 12 Apostles, north through Hamilton/Horsham/Mildura and on to Broken Hill/Wilcannia/Cobar/Nyngan.

Total km so far = 3495, and with several sections of really heavy pushing we've averaged about 20 litres per hundred - not so good - but she's a young 'un, not yet done its 10,000km service.

How does it go? Beautifully. It's simply a joy to drive. Hates the garbage fuel I bought in Wilcannia at 150.9 cpl and returned 24.82 litres per hundred in response. I really feel like going back and giving the owner a serve, because that's pathetic. For Shell fuel, I normally get much better, so he's putting something in to boost his profits and my car hates it.

If you bought the manual, the only thing I'd suggest is that you be very gentle on the clutch, because the D40 produces all of its torque at 2,000rpm - it will eat the clutch otherwise. That being said, the manual will be much easier to hold in its sweet spot (1,900-2,200 rpm) while you're towing - my auto kept dropping out of overdrive, so I spent a considerable time in 4th gear - except when I had a tailwind.

If you look at the alternatives - Toyota only pulls 2.4 tonnes, Mitsu 2.3 tonnes, Rodeo is also 2.3 tonnes I believe, and the Ford Courier/Mazda Bravo BT50 (same car, diff badge) is about 2.3 tonnes. The Holden Colorado (Isuzu D-Max) is being phased out, so good luck with parts, but can manage 3 tonnes. The Ford Ranger can do 3 tonnes but I was talking to someone who had several (read "fleet") of these and he hates them, their engines are supposed to be "less than stellar".

The Navara really has the best motor - it could have a heavier clutch, and there are issues with the DPF in the auto etc - but if I had to make my decision again, I wouldn't change my mind. I'd still be in a Navara.

Thanks everyone, just what I wanted to hear.
The vehicle is an ST Manual Diesel. i guess im only feeling the way i am simply because its for me quite an expensive purchase and i just wanted to make sure that it is a good vehicle. From what im hearing i dont think ill have any dramas.. Once i go to pick the vehicle up from the dealer should i be checking anything?
Thanks for all the feed back.. Im sure ill have more questions once i actually get the vehicle..
thanks again

The dealer should (they're required to by Nissan) use a checklist to go over the vehicle as they hand it to you. This will include the presentation of all of the items you've asked to be included (so things like fog lights, towing hitches, floor mats etc). If they follow the book, there's very little to be left out.

You will be asked (separately, by Nissan Australia) if they used a checklist. It scores against them if they don't, so they'll probably do it - which means you should be pretty much okay with the hand-over.

Yeah I had no issues with the dealer missing anything. Just give it a checkover for any damage etc. If you have any questions or concerns after driving it for a few days just ring them and they will check it out at the 1000km service.

Just enjoy it mate.

The only lasting remorse I have about buying my Nav was that I didn't do it 12 months earlier so that the 08 trip across the Nallabor was as enjoyable in the drivers seat as the 09 trip

Welcome to the forums mate, i was a little remorseful when i first bought mine but when i think back now at all the places iv been where i previously would not have been, mate its well worth the money.

One tip I would give to any D22 buyer (not sure on coil IFS D40's) should they also get a steel bar attached to the front make sure the dealer resets the front ride height. Ours was delivered with a mere 4mm of clearance off the bottom bump stop. Drove around like that for 5000kms because I didn't know any different and just thought the standard suspension was crap and bone jarring. Discovered how the suspension worked through research and after fitting 40kg more of winch there was no way you could have got a cigarette paper between the bump stop. Sorted now but dark on the dealer for not doing proper PD.
Also screws missing from underside of dash where the crappy fitter of even crappier and cheaper aftermarket central locking dickhead had been.
Be very pedantic from day one and record everything that annoys you on paper. Apparently our front passenger door is not covered for adjustment under warranty after 1000kms even though it clunks and rattles when on the most minor bumps let alone turning into the dealers driveway - Nissan say that it should have been reported at the 1000km service and adjustments are not covered under warranty. If I could have heard it over everything else that went clunk due to the badly adjusted front suspension I would have....
Aside from my gripes I am happy with our new toy. Its the dealerships that need to be watched so as the vehicle is delivered and maintained as the designers intended.

I have 3 issues with my D40 ST-X at the moment. it is a V6 auto 2009 model.

- Exhaust either has a crack in it or a split gasket. Dealer reckon they fixed it, they have not.
- Rear suspension has gotten ridiculously creaky. It sounds like a 20 year old farm ute's springs. Dealer said they fixed that too. But have not.
- Recently (after same dealer replaced my brake pads and machined the discs) there is a very noticable "click...click...click...." sound coming from the front right of the vehicle when under light-to-moderate braking. I thought it might be loose wheel nuts, I checked and it's not that. Will be taking back to the dealer to get that fixed, when they fix all the other shit that they haven't done.

Apart from those relatively minor (but very annoying) niggles and the incompetence or unwillingness of the dealer to fix them, I am very happy with the Navara. It performs brilliantly, has the best features in the class, looks great, very comfy. I even managed to sway my old man (a career Toyota buyer) into getting out of his Hilux and buying a new D40 ST diesel

well i am thinking of getting mine and these are the reasons why i wanna get one.
the price of cars are so expensive in Malaysia that you are practically paying the same price for a Nissan latio / Honda City / Toyota Vios.

with the same price, I thought, why not, a Navara, which i could travel interstate with peace of mind, and that i no longer have to fuss about sissy stuff like being afraid of getting grease onto the car seat from my bicycle when i ferry it around.

hope u're settled and be happy with ur purchase. i'd prob have to wait for a few more months before mine could come along.

Apparently our front passenger door is not covered for adjustment under warranty after 1000kms even though it clunks and rattles when on the most minor bumps let alone turning into the dealers driveway - Nissan say that it should have been reported at the 1000km service and adjustments are not covered under warranty.
Where you able to adjust the door yourself? Kingcab doors have no adjustment, I had to weld up the bolt holes in the door latch and then re drill them 3mm off centre to get my door to close properly. The doors rattled so much the interior light would come on everytime I hit a bump in the road.

Latest posts

Back