Brake Light Short? Faulty Earth? Console Lights.. [SOLVED]

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Outlaw

Reaction score
Guys..

Ive' Recently developed an annoying problem when I brake my console (fan speed / heater etc) lights all come on - and my stereo thinks I've turned the lights on and goes into "night mode".. I also believe my park lights come on..

I've remove the trailer from the wiring loom - not the issue.. I've checked the Stereo earth and it seems ok..

I believe I have traced it to the passenger side brake light / loom If I remove the brake light - no more "short".. Replace and it comes back - The Drivers side does not make it happen..

So - my question is has anyone had this "quirk" - or can someone point me into where the rear Earth point is for the car..

The beeping the stereo headunit makes everytime I brake is driving me nuts!!

Cheers..

I'd try either changing the left brake/tail globe with the right or replacing it and see what happens. Chances are the filament has broken inside, causing the park lights to come on when you brake. Do the brake lights come on when you turn your park lights on?

Both lights illuminate when brake is pressed.. I'll check the park lights now..

EDIT: Brake lights illuminate when park lights are on.... So it's not the globe

Last edited:
Could be, if the filaments are touching inside it will put the brake lights on when park lights are on and vice versa.

You should be able to have a look inside it and see if they are touching each other.

As above. I'd replace the brake light globe on the LHS and see if it fixes it. Sounds like power is flowing:

* when you turn on the parkers, down to the tail, in through the tail light "low" connection through the broken brake light filament and back in to the brake switch so that the brake lights all come on

* when you press the brake, from the brake switch to the tail light "high" connection across the broken filament to the parker "low" filament then back to the remaining lights that are connected to the parker circuit, which includes the pickup wire for the stereo (probably connected to the dash lights which are also part of the parker circuit).

You guys nailed it... Globe.

I traced earth, cleaned joints, contact cleaner on all connections. NADA.. So I swapped globe sides - problem followed it.. Felt glad - and yet sad at the same time!

Bought 2 new light globes... BOOM - problem solved!!! No more annoying beep from the Stereo and no more flashing console lights every time I brake..

Thanks guys.. I'd have never thought of a WORKING globe to be the problem.. BLOODY CARS! ;)

Nice fix lol. It's always the way, the simplest problem seems too simple... at least you know your earths will be good now lol

I just wished I had of swapped globe sides 3 hours earlier - then I'd have 3 hours where I was NOT looking for an earth / wiring fault..

Thanks for the suggestion - Otherwise I'd still be out there and contemplating throwing money at an Auto Electrician...

One thing about these Navara's - you get to learn them inside out with all their quirks and nuances..

TONY - Mark it as SOLVED..

I just wished I had of swapped globe sides 3 hours earlier - then I'd have 3 hours where I was NOT looking for an earth / wiring fault..

Thanks for the suggestion - Otherwise I'd still be out there and contemplating throwing money at an Auto Electrician...

One thing about these Navara's - you get to learn them inside out with all their quirks and nuances..

TONY - Mark it as SOLVED..

With pleasure, mate. Glad it is fixed!

Latest posts

Back