auto or manual and why

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awest

Reaction score
looking at buying a d40 for touring (not towing anything). which would you buy and why? what would be the difference in average fuel consumption? cheers

For touring I'd always go auto (and did) who wants to be constantly changing gears when touring implies you're out there for enjoyment not work. As far as economy goes most times the auto will have worse economy but it still comes down to how you drive it, how you pack it and what you've done to it. There are autos on here getting better economy than manuals but that doesn't mean all of them will.

Oh and welcome to the forums

There used to be a vast difference between Auto and Manual as far as ecenomy went, but advancement in Auto technology has closed the gap somewhat. I would suggest the difference in $ terms would be insignificant in most cases, compared to being stuck with the wrong "comfort" option for the entire life of the car. Just my opinion !!

I have the manual, but wish I had bought the auto. I have always preferred driving a manual but with this truck, with it's turbo lag and poor low down torque I find it frustrating to drive in traffic, not to mention trying to back a fully laden trailer up a steep driveway.
I think fuel economy has far more to do with the right foot than any other factors, but I'm guessing a 10% difference between the 2 on average??

Manual hubs as well then you can put it low range and back trailers/caravans up the driveway without any dramas. You might have to buy the better of the two Navaras and get a D22 :wink:

Cheers Brad

Using it as a 4WD, manual every time. For any sort of towing and for general commuting, auto hands down. I have a ZD30 D22 and if there was an auto option I would have bought one without a second thought as most of what my car does is drag a trailer around..

Latest posts

Back