Any hunters among us??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its not a quick choice, first caliber then wood or synthetic and then blued or stainless, always loved blued barrel and a nice timber stock, but i finally bought a stainless synthetic and loved it so i bought another. but i hunt near the sea. and if your going to hunt the high country consider a stainless rifle, it can be that moist up there your gun literally starts to rust overnight

Yep...tho I love and prefer timber stocks, I went this time for synthetic..again for a reason...dont have to worry about that moisture getting into the timber and I wont cry over a scratch or dent in the stock as the high country hunting is rough on everthing.

add..^^in regards to my 300WM

Last edited by a moderator:
I
Prefer my 22 mag to the 17hmr. If a bee farts it's all over the place

Cmon...its not that bad.

There a great caliber, bugger all noise and heaps of punch for the size, But they dont like wind, That said its the first gun i grab for spotlighting followed by the 308(never know what pokes its nose out in the light)

but 17hmr is only designed for close range ie 150 yards.
comparing 17hmr to 223 is like comparing 223 to 243 (or 6mmRem). 223 gets blown around in the wind like crazy compared to 243. (the original 6mm was designed for long range varmint shooting).

they all have their place.

I
Prefer my 22 mag to the 17hmr. If a bee farts it's all over the place

sorry missed this post before.
if mem is right 17hmr is the least wind effected rimfire. tho that might have changed with the new lighter 22mag rounds out now.

but 17hmr is only designed for close range ie 150 yards.
comparing 17hmr to 223 is like comparing 223 to 243 (or 6mmRem). 223 gets blown around in the wind like crazy compared to 243. (the original 6mm was designed for long range varmint shooting).

they all have their place.

I wasn,t comparing my 17 and 223, I only said the 17 hates a puff of wind. As you state above every thing has a limit. The other reason I grab my 17 instead of my 223 is I have been lazy and havnt put a scope on my 223, I pinched it for the 17 when I bought it

sorry missed this post before.
if mem is right 17hmr is the least wind effected rimfire. tho that might have changed with the new lighter 22mag rounds out now.

between 17 hmr and 22 mag, its the 17 that gets knocked around by wind. But in the right conditions it out shoots a 22 mag, for its size the 17 is devastating and fairly quiet.

i'll have to double check, i havn't been on RFC for some time.
i can't find the old chart but i'm certain 17hmr is LESS wind effected than 22mag.

i think a lot of it comes from people going from centre fire to rimfire and noticing the big difference in wind driff. probably find that most 22mag uses are used to using it at closer ranges, then try using the 17hmr at longer ranges than they are used to. of course longer ranges means more drift.

Fair call. But I'm very used to the drop in my .22 mag. I'm sure the .17 hmr would be great once uses to it. But I love my mag

Latest posts

Back