Any Downsides to Manual Locked rear end

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerdriver

Reaction score
Im considering putting a diff lock in my 2011 nissan navara ST as the LSD is non existant and I want some traction

however I have a few questions:
is it better to do front or rear first as atm the Rear is useless as a LSD

will there be any difference between the LSD I currently have and an open rear diff with a diff lock, as I have heard about wheels spinning in the wet

and finally Im considering ARB air locker or the eaton e-locker which one is best as I have heard stories about compressors failing and seals and air lines leaking with the air locker which led me to look at the eaton

What about the auto Lokka?? They can obviously go in rears as well as front diffs?

iv read somewhere d40 rear lsd (r200 i think) is one of the best on the markets...and if wanting a lokka best to go front one first unless ur rear is buggered...however i have also read the d40s front diff isnt that great when having a front lokka installed...like it breaks something maybe cv when given a pounding

my rear lsd on d22 is great
a little too tight for the road
have you checked/changed diff oil ??

they don't make lokkas for the d40 rear, its a well known fact the LSD in the d40 is really really shit just have a read of some of the threads on here, the car has 7000km on it brand new, not even a year old,

Last edited:
sparra04 said:
my rear lsd on d22 is great
a little too tight for the road
have you checked/changed diff oil ??

Another one for the D22's

qqc d22 said:
nothing wrong with arb airlockers

Arb air lockers suck balls. Go the E-locker.
The clutch pack in your LSD might just need a little tightening, this can make a big! difference to an LSD

FatBoy89 said:
Another one for the D22's

It really is sad how you's have too alway try and prove that D22's are better, it like you's have too convince yourself. Large case of envy I think.

So let just stick too the topic ok.

Last edited:
they don't make lokkas for the d40 rear, its a well known fact the LSD in the d40 is really really shit just have a read of some of the threads on here, the car has 7000km on it brand new, not even a year old,

I've had an ARB air locker in the rear of my 2008 D40 for about 3 years now...works great.

I have had an ARB air locker in the rear of my D22 for about a year now and as much as people say that the LSD is fine it is nothing on a locker when offroad. On the road in the wet it will just spin one wheel if taking off up a hill but its not a problem most of the time. I have figured out which hills around here it doesnt like in the wet and if i have to stop on the hill i just lock the rear and i have 2 drive wheels again.

About the air lines. If you are going to catch or nick the line when off road to cause a leak then you are properly going to catch the control wire for an e locker anyway and both will cause the locker not to work so i dont really see that as being an issue at all.

Bryce said:
I have had an ARB air locker in the rear of my D22 for about a year now and as much as people say that the LSD is fine it is nothing on a locker when offroad. On the road in the wet it will just spin one wheel if taking off up a hill but its not a problem most of the time. I have figured out which hills around here it doesnt like in the wet and if i have to stop on the hill i just lock the rear and i have 2 drive wheels again.

About the air lines. If you are going to catch or nick the line when off road to cause a leak then you are properly going to catch the control wire for an e locker anyway and both will cause the locker not to work so i dont really see that as being an issue at all.

An e locker is as easy as twisting two wires together to fix ;)

i have rear air locker and hate it' never again will be an e locker next time.

People say this but why do you hate it?
Lots of negatives at the arb air locker but i love mine. How about a bit of uesfull feedback rather than just saying you hate it. Y dont you tell everyone why you hate it.

I had an ARB locker in my D40 aswell, loved it. The only negaitive was because you lose the LSD you end up having to use the locker to get through some stuff the LSD normally would have got you through.

i pick up my d40 on monday, it's brand new but has vsc instead of an lsd, has anybody taken these off road to see how well the vsc system works?
it's supposed to send drive to the wheel with the most traction.

I have arb front and rear air locker and have never had any problems. My front locker was the first fitted at my local arb shop so if they were going to fuk any up it should of been mine. The rear has been in for 18 months and has copped a flogging. You shouldn't be put off getting the arb locker heaps of guys have them fitted and have never had any problems

Latest posts

Back