STX 550 rear diff

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Intriguing.

Certainly in the UK, US, France and Germany the differential is the bit in the middle. I don't know about other languages.

Mind you, every 4 wheel drive (regardless) is a Jeep in Ireland, which seems even stranger.

If you ring and said I’m looking for a diff for a ford AU ... they would give you a price on a complete diff from brake to brake. If you rang and asked for a diff center then you would be talking about the diff center only... that’s how I have always understood it.... not to say it’s right or wrong everyone has there own interpretations :)
Wow got some great learning out of this thank you all :)
If you rang a wrecker they might colloquially term it a "diff" as an abbreviation, as it's not worth their while to separate the parts. Though the way I see it, it would really be the entire rear drive complete with axles and brakes (the wife tells me I am regularly wrong about lots of things though lol).

If you have a look in the Nav D22 manual under the section "propeller shaft and differential" you'll see the rear diff and axle tubes (without axles) referred to as "rear final drive". Inside the cover of the "rear final drive" there are all manner of parts that make up what they call the "limited slip differential". Axles and rear wheel bearings are in an entirely different section of the manual. So if you are going to order a "diff" from them you aren't getting axles or brakes.

Though I guess people can call things whatever they want, as long as there is an understanding of what they mean. Though knowing what a diff does and why it's there, I didn't realise anyone really believed axles, wheel bearings, brakes and so on were part of the "diff". Not that it's really important at all and each to their own I guess.

Mind you, every 4 wheel drive (regardless) is a Jeep in Ireland, which seems even stranger.

That would be considered an insult by many Aussies lol. Jeep are generally viewed as a "boutique" offroad toy by many, that spend far too much time in the workshops of mechanics if you're really going off roading. Jesus they're rubbish these days.

That would be considered an insult by many Aussies lol. Jeep are generally viewed as a "boutique" offroad toy by many, that spend far too much time in the workshops of mechanics if you're really going off roading. Jesus they're rubbish these days.

I've been educating my little guy that people aren't pronouncing the word "Jeep" properly, and cite examples like Jose, Julio and jalapeno.

Latest posts

Back