aftermakert turbo kit for d22

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellhound

Reaction score
hey guys
im new to the forum n i just wanted know if any has upgrade there turbo to a garrett ball bearing or anything like that. im just concerned about mine because i have just ticked over 100 000 k's n i hav read that they go boom soon n i hav not got an intercooler to catch it.:suicide2:

i have heard of the odd person saying they have upgraded the turbo but they mentioned no details and havn't been seen since.

they generally go boom because drivers have not let them cool down or have been running on poor/contaminated engine oil.

if your worried about the turbo letting go then invest in an intercooler. cheaper than fitted a new turbo and gets better economy etc.

A mate of mine just put in a new core from MTQ, they are supposed to be stronger but who would really know. The core goes in the orginal housing.

I was aking this a while back but no one answered.

Anyone got any specs on the factory turbo ?

Dave.

Why not go a supercharger? I thought with a low reving, high torque engine that it would be better suited than a hairdryer.

supercharger will give it great low down grunt and very nice response but it does tend to make them fairly thirsty for road use.

supercharger will give it great low down grunt and very nice response but it does tend to make them fairly thirsty for road use.

There are some efficient blowers around these days but they are damn expensive.

Maybe supercharged running liquid lpg injection? Anyone got deep pockets?

Maybe a good project for a green D22 forum user??

its just turbo's work so darn well with diesels.
a few guys that have fitted toyota superchargers to hiluxs and they go well. some rigged theirs with AC clutch and turns it off at idle and cruise.
a bit like the stock MR2 setup which dosn't turn on untill you put the boot into it.

supercharged they go real well with crawler gears unlike turbo's which don't do much untill you start moving and load the turbo up.

there are more efficient superchargers but centrifugal tend not to have much boost in the low rpm's. not sure if screw type are available in small enough sizes and they tend to have more losses if bypassed. but all supercharges run the same problem, they take a LOT of power to turn and don't gain anything from the exhaust.
also forced fed loves low exhaust back pressure which is a catch 22 with noise.

i have heard of the odd person saying they have upgraded the turbo but they mentioned no details and havn't been seen since.

they generally go boom because drivers have not let them cool down or have been running on poor/contaminated engine oil.

if your worried about the turbo letting go then invest in an intercooler. cheaper than fitted a new turbo and gets better economy etc.

i was thinking about an intercooler i like the look of the one from ase but i need the money n im out of work at the present moment because i broke my collar bone playing sport so it might be a while. i was just worried because i love to drive with a heavy foot just to hear the turbo and it is does sound so sweet. :big_smile:

Latest posts

Back