ABS Fault Light

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k3vin

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

My mechanic hates me by now, but what can you do I guess.
Tried going through all the threads on the forum, but can't find any other ideas/tips.

Basically, my ABS light came on abit over a month ago, and has been constantly on one day and off the other.

After plugging into his computer, he found fault on rear driver side and replaced that sensor. All was fine till I went through a water cross which triggered it again.

He's told me he's pulled out the axle and checked the rings & sensors. Changed the sensors a few times and also had a few sparkies go over my car.

The bad part is since Friday the ABS light stopped coming on and the sparkies couldn't find any issue. So whilst at the workshop they can't find the issue, I am paranoid about taking the car out....

Has anyone else come across this and found the root cause?

The problem is when the abs light is on i can't engage 4wd.
Water depth last time it triggered was slightly over the bonnet.

There is no way I would take a D40 or just about any vehicle into that depth of water unless it's a life or death matter.

You may have moisture in one of the connectors. First one I'd look at is on the transfer case.

Hi Tappet,

When the problem was occurring, the ABS light stays on once started.
I actually checked the voltage of all sensors also whilst on the beach and all had the same readings.

After that I also hit all the ABS connectors with WD40. One the journey back on the light turned off itself.
But I think you have hit the nail on the head with water in transfer case.

Last edited:
In all likelihood there is water in the transfer case, in-fact after such a deep crossing I would be changing all the oils in the drive line but it's prolly not water in the transfer case that is causing the ABS Fault but more likely the speed sensor on the transfer case that is part of the ABS system.

Squirting the connectors with WD40 is ok at best, probably better using CRC CO Contact Cleaner. If you do want a protectant water proof film on the contacts of the connectors and on the outside of the plug, CRC 2-26 is an excellent product.

i have also the same problem. i changed the sensor, abs light was off for only 2 months and come back again.

Latest posts

Back