3 hrs to fit safari snorkel?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyron

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been quoted 3hrs to have a safari snorkel fitted to my D40, to me this seems excessive. I'm sure I could do it in the hours, these guys do this stuff for a living and it would think they would be more efficient.

What is the norm?

I have been quoted anything from 3 hours to a day. Based on the quotes I have been given, only a couple of hours are charged though. They just need the time to let the adhesives used to go off during the installation.

If you feel comfortable cutting a hole in the side of you car then do it yourself. The rest of snorkel installations is fairly straight forward.

3 hours is what I was quoted and charged for my snorkel, I was going to do my next one myself and I was allowing myself 6 hours.

Yeah, they want to charge the full 3hrs to fit it while doing my bullbar.

Thinking I'll see if a mate has the tools to do it. Can't be that hard, just double check everything.

Make sure you've got some touch up paint for where you cut and drill the holes, leaving them bare is an invite for rust later down the track.

I think the three hours they have allowed is pretty fair.
If they stuff the hole up then they pay for the repair.
I did mine myself in my D22 and three hours is reasonable.

Yeah, it may be fair I just don't like the thought of a snorkel costing $750, it's my first 4wd so I may not have costs in perspective yet.

I put my snorkel on my D40 and 3 hours for a pro to do it a fair time. It took me more than 3 hours, but 3 hours is fair.

If you do do it yourself, try using a nibbler instead of a hole saw, it's much easier.

Yeah, it may be fair I just don't like the thought of a snorkel costing $750, it's my first 4wd so I may not have costs in perspective yet.

Have a look at the ironman snorkle i am pretty sure they are only about $300 and they do the same job

Hi,

I have been quoted 3hrs to have a safari snorkel fitted to my D40, to me this seems excessive. I'm sure I could do it in the hours, these guys do this stuff for a living and it would think they would be more efficient.

What is the norm?

Yup 3hrs is norm

I think the three hours they have allowed is pretty fair.
If they stuff the hole up then they pay for the repair.
I did mine myself in my D22 and three hours is reasonable.

What he said. They have to factor in the risk cost on all instillation's , add insurance, property rates, pay a worker , pay his super, add all these together and you will see that its a very fair price. People seem to forget all the hidden costs business's have fork out every day.

I'm not saying he has a bad hourly rate, it is quite reasonable. I'm talking about the hours they quoted.

From the responses, it's seems it would actually take an experienced professional 3 hours to do and I was wrong.

-- this is why I asked the question.

I could have done my own but decided to let someone else take the risk/liability , I recon its well worth it when you way up the cost of a repair job if you do bugger it up. Enjoy your first swim after you get the car back!

Yeah, I do agree. Didn't book the snorkel though. Couldn't justify it when compared to the cost of other items. Might go ironman one and pay for the install. Either way will get one and make sure I use it haha.

Ive got no idea about the quality of the ironman one,just remember its bolted to your car for the rest of its life! Thats why I was willing to pay a bit more for the safari one, last thing I wanted 5yrs down the track was one that could not tolerate the oz sun. As I said though, I dont know about the quality of the ironman one, could be worse/better. Just do as much research as possible.

I'm not saying he has a bad hourly rate, it is quite reasonable. I'm talking about the hours they quoted.

From the responses, it's seems it would actually take an experienced professional 3 hours to do and I was wrong.

-- this is why I asked the question.

3 hours is fair and pretty standard, have a go ur self and see if u can get it done in under 3 hours.

Back