Another Black smoke problem

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reece

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone could help, I have 2012 d40 Spanish built model which blows excessive black smoke when I give it a bit of throttle and when driving normal from what I can see it is blowing smoke but not excessive.
It doesn't lack any power or stall when I give it a bit.
I have been adding fuel treatment every tank and have fitted a plazmaman hot pipe and triple check for leaks.
Any help would be great.

I wonder if the EGR is becoming excessive, or the turbo isn't quite boosting as much as it used to? Or more likely, the MAFS is a little dirty?

Here's what to try, in order:

* MAFS: remove it carefully. You'll see a small hole in the side that was facing the incoming air. Never put any solid object in this hole (the MAFS will break if you do, and it's $400). Spray either electrical contact cleaner or MAFS cleaner (exactly the same product, different name and prices) into the hole and allow it to drain. Do it until the liquid coming out is clear.
* Check the vacuum hoses (assuming vacuum turbo actuator). Any hose that moves freely on its connection point has hardened and will likely leak vacuum, reducing the amount of vacuum reaching the turbocharger and reducing the amount of boost (less air = less combustion = black smoke).
* Block the EGR. Yours might get upset if it has an EGR flow sensor - not sure when they started including this in the cars. If that happens, you could either unblock the EGR, drill a small hole in the blocking plate, or have the ECU edited to exclude the EGR flow check (or even better still, any commanded EGR).

I wonder if the EGR is becoming excessive, or the turbo isn't quite boosting as much as it used to? Or more likely, the MAFS is a little dirty?

* MAFS: remove it carefully. You'll see a small hole in the side that was facing the incoming air. Never put any solid object in this hole (the MAFS will break if you do, and it's $400). Spray either electrical contact cleaner or MAFS cleaner (exactly the same product, different name and prices) into the hole and allow it to drain. Do it until the liquid coming out is clear.
* Check the vacuum hoses (assuming vacuum turbo actuator). Any hose that moves freely on its connection point has hardened and will likely leak vacuum, reducing the amount of vacuum reaching the turbocharger and reducing the amount of boost (less air = less combustion = black smoke).
* Block the EGR. Yours might get upset if it has an EGR flow sensor - not sure when they started including this in the cars. If that happens, you could either unblock the EGR, drill a small hole in the blocking plate, or have the ECU edited to exclude the EGR flow check (or even better still, any commanded EGR).
Hey when did you replace air cleaner

We didn’t think it would make any difference but a new air cleaner made a huge difference to the smoke on acceleration

Thanks for the tips I'll try to get to them in the next few days.
I'll have to google to see what plate I need and how to do it or is it easier just to make one.

Hey when did you replace air cleaner

We didn’t think it would make any difference but a new air cleaner made a huge difference to the smoke on acceleration

I'm not 100% sure but I have a new one at home which I'll change.

Because we live in a country area we replace our air filter every 10,000km. Saves the trouble of forgetting and having it fail. Good call to suggest replacement of it.

Hi all changed air filter and cleaned airbox, cleaned mafs sensor, checked vacuum hoses, blocked off egr and changed fuel filter today.

Took it for a run and heaps better feels like more power was abit of smoke when first started then it cleared right up to near nothing unless you give it a big right foot hit.

Heaps better then what I had before as it use leave a big smoke cloud and cars use to slow down.

Thanks again for all the help from you guys now to sort out oil change and lift kit fitments.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back