2wd low

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerST

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Been talking to Old Tony and we came up with the Idea of using low in 2wd. I know it was done to lux a few years back. So Old Tony is going to look into it more.

But just wondering if anyone knows if it can be done and how to do it. Be so good for boat ramps and pretty much everything heavy

There is now lower diff gears for the D40s(4.1 front and 4.10 rear), About time but that are really low. Dropping the crusing speed of a stock d40 at 2000rpm from 97.4km/h to 84km/h approx. with lager tires it counter acts this drop in speed bring back to more factory specs.

The Swiss have it as an after market option from the dealer.

Here's a link to there info sheet sorry it's in German.www.mueller-obfelden.ch/Drupal/sites/default/files/upload/Einbauflyer.pdf

Rough translation:

"Developed by us this mod enables a further position of the transfer case, the 2WD LOW MODE. Thus it is possible to operate the vehicle in low speed mode but with rear wheel drive only. This will avoid drive train stress on a dry surface and the
load on the clutch during maneuvers is reduced significantly. Technically, the mod is equivalent to disengaging the front hubs of the pickup in earlier models, but now is much more comfortably done from the inside.

Installation: The conversion is carried out at our workshop and takes half a day. On request, a replacement vehicle is available.

Cost: The price amounts for the whole conversion, including labor, materials and VAT to CHF 1950 .-- (GBP 1270/EUR 1500)"

Last edited:
Wow. I wonder if the mod adds a second servo to the TF so that one handles the engagement of the front drive shaft and one changes gears (that's how I'd do it).

Great find. I wonder if anyone in Aus is doing this?

I've sent them a nice email to see if they will sell kits or advise parts and procedures required to make it happen.

I'll keep you posted if they get back to me.

So far I've had some correspondence from them and although they are being a wee bit guarded about it at present things sound promising (fingers crossed).

Iceman I don't think it is a driveline disconnect as they wanted to my VIN to check that our D40's use the same gearbox as there's, which for Spanish built I would think they will but Thai maybe be different but we'll cross that bridge later if I get a good result.

I'll continue to keep everyone updated as more info comes to hand.

Right update time.

I have spoken to them via email a few times now and they are willing to sell the kit and provide instructions on how to fit but it's not a job for the faint hearted as it involves mounting a vacuum powered pneumatic ram, then drilling a hole into the transfer case for the ram spear to go into and mounting a control device under the center console beside the airbag ECM.
Cost is about $1600AU + frieght.

Yeah they have given me some photo's and wiring diagrams but asked that I don't publish them on a public forum which I will respect. ( But will consider sharing with others via email if they are seriously interested).
They haven't gone into to much detail at this stage to protect there investment of time and money in developing the setup and controller circuit board.

I think if I knew exactly where to drill the hole with a bit of kiwi enginuity I could make the whole thing work without to much drama.

Latest posts

Back