Zd30 slow start

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben_payne92

Reaction score
Hey guys I’ll try to keep this as short as possible, the nav was running really well about a month ago I went 4wheeling through mud was having too much fun didn’t realise that temp sensor stopped working and it got severely overheated, got it home got the head off got it machined new gaskets all that, have put it back together, and it’s having a very hard time starting, it starts after about 10 seconds of turning it over, and once it’s running it seems to run well for the most part when warmed up. It’s throwing codes
One is crank angle and the other is communication line to the pump, now I’ve got clear line on the filter and have noticed there are some small air bubbles coming from before the filer, not sure if any relevance or not. I was wondering if anyone has had sismilar issues or where I should start looking
Thanks for your help guys

Obviously air is being introduced in the line from the tank, resolve that first, also were the glow plugs intact? I assume the primer is firm and not spongy that's the test for fuel with good pressure with no air

I was getting CAS code on mine. Had to crank for ages sometimes but once fired up no problems. Tacho was jumping around while cranking as well, which I found later should be stationery until the engine is running. I was pointed in the direction of the starter motor after reading through this forum. When it is on its last legs it seems it can give interference that triggers the 0407.
Only after replacing mine did I realise that the cranking had slowed down and the Tacho should be stationery while cranking. The 0407 was the only code I got though, not the pump communication fault and I don't recall if that had been an issue on the threads that I had read through. If the car drives and runs fine after it has started the CAS sensor itself is most likely fine.

Diesels hate air (and water ) in the fuel. U can spend ages tracking the air bubble probelem, a quick and cheap fix ($20 or so) can be installing an in line electric fuel pump in the pick up line coming from fuel tank. Closer to tank the better but near the engine firewall is ok. Find a wire that is live when ignition is on. These pumps have very low current draw. I have found in the past that the primer/fuel filters are prone to leaking air in most cases. Even new ones.

I had a problem with mine over a series of a couple of months, where it was hard to start also. Was throwing codes...crank angle sensor and something about tdc. After much putting things off, I changed my starter motor. The one that was in there was only 2 yrs old, however once I pulled it and and apart it was full of crap. Oil and grease etc, resulting in voltage drop causing the ecu to throw error codes and thus making it hard to start. Do yourself a favour, go to Bursons, or wherever, get a new starter and you’ll find it will be all good again. Mine now starts immediately.
Just like new again 👍🏻

Latest posts

Back