Value of tyres?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt76

Reaction score
My highway terrains are looking more and more pansy the more I do to my ute. I would love to get a set of 33's for it but i really cant justify the cost when I have near new tyres on it. Has anyone sold tyres off and what sort of money did you get for them? Or what do you think I would get for mine second hand (probably bugger all) they are 255/70/16 continental H/T's. done 5000kms on them now.

Im just curious to see if it would be worth the exercise.

Cheers
Matt

Matt

Have spent a fair amount of time on this very issue (including most of yesterday). The Conti's are worth next to nothing (the best trade in I could manage was $50 a tyre).

As for replacements in 265/75/16 I have now looked at Pirelli Scorpion's ATRs, BFG ATs, Cooper STs, Yokohama Geolandar GO12s and Bridgestone D694LTs.

Most independent tyre dealers highly recommend the BFGs BUT they are just too expensive as the are made in the US and they have been affected by the exchange rate.

Given I do use the Nav for work I am tending towards the D694LTs in 10 ply. $50 per tyre cheaper and appear to be a good tyre.

Bosshog

I run two sets of tyres as the Conti's aren't worth trading. I can then have something more agressive and went for Mickey Thompson MTZ's. 265/75/16 (32") fit great even with standard suspension. I have just returned from the Vic High Country (Dingo Hill Trk, Caledonia River Trk, Zeka Spur Trk etc.) no problems with scraping. Now I will put the Conti's back on for city driving and have the best of both worlds. Only issue was I had to buy a spare set of rims at $110.00 each.

Keep ya HT for day to day and buy a second set of rims for the off road tyres. I have 265/75R16's STT's on ROH wheels and they look pretty cool.

I got a bit of rubbing at full lock, but I took the front plastic guards off to reduce that. The Rears catch that little plastic bit at the front of the arch so maybe that'll come up next time too. (std suspension)

I've done a bit of both.
Namely, I bought a spare set of 4 Nissan alloys with Conti's off ebay for $600.
I sold the tyres within a day for $300.
I bought Bridgestone 694LT in 265.70.16 size for the upcoming big trip. These are now on the ute.
The set with Conti's will be put back on after we return.
cheers

I know a fair few contractors on minesite using Bridgestone 694LT and love them. I myself have BF AT not to bad tho wearing quickly and chip really bad offroad. Coopers are good offroad but terrible onroad STs in LT form anything less than light truck they are useless against punctures.
Well thats my 2 cents

Matt, i sold mine , i think they were either 693 or 694 with about 15k on them, sold them on ebay for $400 buy it now price, couple of blokes came out and tried to kick me down in price, but no deal they were in very good cond. Sold them within a week, i even delivered them to him , only cause he was on my way to work.

cheers,

Lance

Thanks guys thats pretty much what I thought. I might hang onto the conti's, they are great as a road tyre so far. I'll get a spare set of rims and a set of AT or MT's for weekends away.

I have had Coopers and Mickey Thompson's and have been really happy with em.

Not the cheapest but good value I think.

Dave.

Concur on the pansieness of stock tyres.......

I have done 10,000 k's on the stock Bridgestone's that came with it, they are great on the bitumen but honestly, looking at them I would be surprised if I get another 20 - 30,000k's out of them. They just appear to be wearing really quickly. They feel very soft.

I have pretty much decided to get BFG A/T's or Mickey Thompson ATZ's (4 ply) next. Leaning more towards the BFG's at the moment.

Thanks guys thats pretty much what I thought. I might hang onto the conti's, they are great as a road tyre so far. I'll get a spare set of rims and a set of AT or MT's for weekends away.

I get my second set changed over in around 30 mins including the spare.Thats stoping for a sip of my can as well.I reckon AT's are glorified conti's.If you are going to go to the trouble of a second set get something worth the trouble.Get MT's.

Concur on the pansieness of stock tyres.......

I have done 10,000 k's on the stock Bridgestone's that came with it, they are great on the bitumen but honestly, looking at them I would be surprised if I get another 20 - 30,000k's out of them. They just appear to be wearing really quickly. They feel very soft.

Same here! Though at the rate mine are wearing I'll be lucky to get another 10,00 km's out of them. Have already started looking at the more agressive AT's like Cooper S/T and Micky T 4 rib ATZ's or maybe Dick Cepek FC II

If you go the second set get something more aggresive than an all terrain. I run MTZ's. My mate has a D40 as well and he has a 2" lift and runs Simex Jungle Trekkers, only thing is they can only fit a 31" tyre due to the outside lugs on the Simex, after our high country trip I reckon the MTZ's on my D40 with standard suspension outperformed his Jungle Trekkers.

i would only buy mickey thompson or cooper's.
the bfg a/t are a good tyre.
go bfg muddies i know a guy who got 75000 km out of a set of there muddies.

i would only buy mickey thompson or cooper's.
the bfg a/t are a good tyre.
go bfg muddies i know a guy who got 75000 km out of a set of there muddies.

is that on and off road?
thats pretty good
I have done 12000 on my tyres and I reckon I would be lucky to get another 12000, I have rotated them twice now
I do a bit of hills driving which would wear them out a bit I guess

If you are going to go to the trouble of a second set get something worth the trouble.Get MT's.

I agree. You have two choices 1. stick with one set of rims and get a good set of ATs. Or 2. get a second set of (steel) rims and whack on some agressive tyres :big_smile:

Latest posts

Back