uneven tyre wear & tranfer cases

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakedape

Reaction score
Hi ya,

I have a potentially silly question, but I don't mind being the bunny that asks it! My rear tyres wore out super fast so i replaced them recently - now I have two sets that, while being the same size have differing amounts of wear on them. So, will this stuff my transfer case when 4x4 is engaged or will they still be close enough not to matter too much?

nakedape

you normally only use 4x4 when on slippery stuff anyway. it will be close enough.
it might be a problem with 4x4 on rocks.
the biggest problem i get is worn rears is not very safe on road, you want the worn ones to be on the front. however for 4x4 you want the worn ones on the rear otherwise you have no steering.

i was always told best ones on the front and worst on the rear?

i assumed that was always right for road driving since the front wheels do most of the braking so you want the best traction on the front.

best tyres should always be on your driving wheels, ie rear when rear wheel drive or front on a front wheel drive. In adverse conditions you need those wheels to have superior water clearing traction. tweak'e is right

i was always told best ones on the front and worst on the rear?

i assumed that was always right for road driving since the front wheels do most of the braking so you want the best traction on the front.

i used to think the same. however i understand that its been found that its far easier to recover if you have good rear wheels, regardless of what ones are the driving wheel.
the big thing is keeping the vehicle straight. with bad rears the vehicle tends to spin out when you try to slow down.
also good front tires means that the driver tends to be over confident of the vehicles handling and will push it harder than the rear tires can handle it.

best tyres should always be on your driving wheels, ie rear when rear wheel drive or front on a front wheel drive. In adverse conditions you need those wheels to have superior water clearing traction. tweak'e is right
just not right for that reason :sarcastic:
front wheel drive and rear wheel drive both need the good tires at the rear for on road driving. its simply to keep the vehicle stable.

the problem is that for 4x4 you want the good one on the front otherwise you can't turn. you just end up pushing forward.

Latest posts

Back