torque specs for oil filter from nissan(overtight) lol

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qqc d22

Reaction score
Just going to change the oil for first time 5000kms and fark me the filter is tight. i swear it is welded on there its that tight. started of with bare hand no go. fair enough got the strap filter remover out fark that feels tight still no go. hmmmn. get the ratchet claw type filter remover out and my god all my might and all ive acheived is squaahing the end of the filter why have and how have these numpties put the filter on so tight at the factory??

It may not be a result of numpties. My oil filter appears to be excessively tight at nearly every change however I know for a fact that it's never done over tight when it's installed because if it's not me that installs it I'm present when it is done.

The reason you should never over tighten a filter is because during operation from the heat and friction on the sealing surface they become tighter. That's why you should only ever do them up with your hands not a strap.

You wanna try a D40, the first time my mech did the filter he was laying across the engine while the ute was sitting on the hoist, all I could see from ground level was two feet hanging over the front quarter panel.

SAME PROBLEM!!!!

bought a 2012 D22.. Did the first service myself at 1000k's.
I think the monkeys at Nissan think the oil filter must hold the entire car together!!!

Also my pre delivery service was shit! i had exactly 30lb's in each tyre! obviously no-one cared to check tyre pressures!

To be honest my whole experience with a certain Nissan dealership in Melbourne has been awefull.. but i love my nav!

I'm doing my first (on my own) service tomorrow hopefully, and am really looking forward to this oil filter wrestling business lol. I only have that strap filter remover thingie, so hopefully that works.

Climb on top of the engine (make sure it's cool or you'll burn your balls), bash crash swear and do the wokka then it will fall off in your hands.

NO...its not the nissan nufty's overtorqing the filter.....it will happen with the replacments as well...as mentioned in threads of past times (many) the 3 finger type or the socket type removers do the job easily.....

easiest way to fix this issue is smear film of clean oil/grease on the rubber seal prior to installing the filter. Been doing that on every service since start of my apprenticeship never had a issue.

Rough guide for torque of the filter is touch the seal on the housing then 3/4 turn.

it wasn't on my nav but i've had one like this also, we bought a second hand car and first time i went to service it i couldn't get the filter off, the screwdriver trick literally tore the filter in half eventually... ended up with a hammer and chisel on the base turning it bit by bit, was bloody rediculous.
as for a good oil filter removal, i just grab a good leather belt with a nice strong buckle, wrap it around so it locks on and then lie under the car and pull the long strap, since i discovered that i've never had a problem with filter removal.
when doing my own car i also put some clean oil on the rubber seal and i can always get them off by hand and they never leak.

Latest posts

Back