Smart phone with wifi HotSpot ability?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mate, if you change your mind on the second hand phones, I am selling my galaxy S3 (the latest) as I now have a work satellite phone. moving out to the bush to work means I don't have mobile coverage. it's only about four months old. let me know if your interested.

Thanks guys,
Forumite fleety on here has offered me a phone too good to say no to, and it is in great condition with accessories to complete the deal.
:)
HUGE thanks fleety for helping me out this festive season.

terryc,
Yes. I am on an Amaysim Unlimited "plan" (month by month but pre-paid), that includes 4GB data each month. Thus far i have not used this data at all, due to my old phones not being suited to internet use (Nokia 5140 and 5140i).
Purchasing a wifi Hotspot able phone will enable me to cann the Optus 3g USB dongle setup that i have for internet at home and away from home with my netbook pc ($25/month). Wifi Hotspot means that i can share the phone's internet connection with my home pc or netbook pc via wifi (secured of course).
All this means i would have saved the cost of the smart phone in about 10 months and then be straight up saving into the future :)

Be carefull, just because you have x amount data on your prepaid, does not automatically let you use tethering/hotspot...ask you provider.

Be carefull, just because you have x amount data on your prepaid, does not automatically let you use tethering/hotspot...ask you provider.
why not?? the carrier won't know what happens beyond the 3g connection itself.

connecting to navara.asia on the phone's browser is no different to connecting through the phone to the laptop's browser. data is data. whilst they might be able to infer that you are tethering by your activity (i.e. you are accessing non-mobile version of websites or downloading over 5GB/month) it doesn't prove anything.

if tethering is blocked by the provider (usually via software on the phone) then it's just a case of installing a third party app or rooting/jailbreaking the device.

Last edited:
Ok...1 example...heres a factual account...you ask the provider why not

Optus prepaid sim with unlimited calls & text, 3gb data,
Iphone 4.

optus would not allow tethering.

if tethering is blocked by the provider (usually via software on the phone) then it's just a case of installing a third party app or rooting/jailbreaking the device.

There.....I rest my case.

my point was that you don't have to ask your provider whether or not you can tether, just like how you don't have to ask nissan about installing a bullbar. it's your phone and you can do what you want to it, optus just provides the data service.

installing an app that allows you to tether certainly won't raise any flags at optus for the average user. if you're moving A LOT of data or accessing sites you shouldn't be then maybe?

there was a big uproar in the states about verizon blocking/charging for tethering which got overturned in court.

my point was that you don't have to ask your provider whether or not you can tether, just like how you don't have to ask nissan about installing a bullbar. it's your phone and you can do what you want to it, optus just provides the data service.

installing an app that allows you to tether certainly won't raise any flags at optus for the average user. if you're moving A LOT of data or accessing sites you shouldn't be then maybe?

there was a big uproar in the states about verizon blocking/charging for tethering which got overturned in court.

yes yes...

but once you jaibrake your iphone for example you cant install the latest iphone software update available

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so fears was the wrong word, but anyway I am all over it like a cheap suit.
And not a problem, just a criteria and the solution was easily discovered and researched.

Thanks to all for the info. This is just one forum that i sought info on. And some knowledgeable friends too, just to make sure i got all of the info i wanted.

Thanks grasshopper and others. Informative.
We plan to be away next year and I think it is time we obtained a modern lappie(or?) for longer trips to stay a bit more connected. also handy for booking Qld campsites and checking the weather forecast.

Latest posts

Back