Overheat while Towing

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmanjim

Reaction score
Hi,

On the weekend I was towing a small boat (tinny) and it didn't occur to me until the return trip, however while traveling along the highway @ 110kmh (~3000rpm) in 5th gear I noticed temps start to rise.

I have attached a photo of my temperature gauge. I noticed there is a small sub-section on the scale, is this suppose to be the tolerable temperature range?

The temp got pretty much right on the line of the sub-scale. I backed off to about 90kmh and the temperature slowly came back down.

Is this normal?

Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 287
Hi mate I tow a 18 foot boat and have never had trouble with mine getting hot. Needle never moves once at operating temp. The photo U added is about where mine sits which is normal. When you say yours got to the line of the scale. Is that at the top you mean. If so that's getting hot. I don't no where the ok temp range is. Or is the photo you added where it was. If so that's fine. Sorry im not a lot of help

Hi,

On the weekend I was towing a small boat (tinny) and it didn't occur to me until the return trip, however while traveling along the highway @ 110kmh (~3000rpm) in 5th gear I noticed temps start to rise.

I have attached a photo of my temperature gauge. I noticed there is a small sub-section on the scale, is this suppose to be the tolerable temperature range?

The temp got pretty much right on the line of the sub-scale. I backed off to about 90kmh and the temperature slowly came back down.

Is this normal?

Cheers

Nice bright dash lights mate!! What year is yours? and mine sits on the same regardless of whether I'm towing something or not. Went to the Flinders ranges ( I'm from melbourne) towing a 2.5 tonne camper trailer and not one issue, the temperature gauge sat pretty much the same where yours is in the picture =)

year, engine and km will help. the first thing i would be checking is the thermostat. also, if you don't know when the coolant was last changed i'd be changing that too. if you want your radiator flushed properly you can take it to a radiator joint and they can give it a proper flush out.

if you still have issues look at the fan. when the engine is at normal temp shut it off, pop the bonnet and give the fan a spin, it should have a fair amount of resistance, if not you may need to replace the fan clutch also, although this shouldn't normally be an issue when you are moving.

mine always sits at half way once it is warmed up, basically anything on the gauge is considered "normal" you will end up doing damage if it gets right up to the "h" though

Thanks for the replies guys.

Car is 2010 2.5. The car usually sits smack on halfway. In the photo in the original post the car wasn't fully warmed up yet.

hosery: Not on the "H" but the dash just before it.

bods: Thanks for the tips mate, I will look into them both.

A 2010 model should not be overheating like that, I tow a work trailer (750kg) everyday and no matter how steep the hill or how hot it is, the temp stays just under half, even without the trailer.
I would put a warranty claim in.

my 2010 sits on 89 c
it climbs up to 96/97 when under heavy load but comes back down quickly

RE the fan clutch, I just took this video while the car was at normal operating temperature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JoTW8wIEtE

Does this mean the fan clutch is gone?

Cheers

If the engine was at normal temps then the clutch is shot.

I don't know if they're rebuildable. I know a guy here in Newcastle that tries to rebuild everything - even un-rebuildable air conditioning compressors. If you're handier with a spanner than I am you could try it but I'd think a replacement is the best thing to do.

i'd say that fan looks about normal, that shouldn't come into play too much going that speed. have you got a bullbar on it? been playing in mud that could have blocked the radiator and/or air con condensor? it seems a bit strange to have started overheating in those conditions but maybe there is something else going on...

Back