Not sure what size for new boots on the Nav

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig09

Reaction score
So I've moved to nsw and am trying to get the Nav (2004 DX D22) ready for roadworthy, First thing on the list is new boots. Now at the moment I have 32x11.5 on 15x8 rims with -23 offset so they stick out quet a bit. I want new boots because they stick out to much for a roadworthy.

I have I few thing I want to clarify as reading this whole section hasn't quiet given me all the info I want. I want to get this set right so just a few things.

15" rims on my model illegal, 16" rims are ok correct?

The toss up is 265 75 16 or 285 75 16, with 265 it is 31.6 x 10.4 so only a tinny bit smaller in height but its a inch smaller in width which worrys me a little,is that going to be a noticeable change off road with the smaller footprint????

With the 285s they are the same width but are that almost inch bigger,will I notice any power loss or fuel with the .8 of a inch bigger tyre than what I got now???ive already lost enough power and fuel though I like the 285s

With the rims 16x8 what offset should I go,I want it to have a wide stance but it can't go past my flare,from what I've read 0 offset should sit level with the flare which is perfect,can this be confirmed?

Last but not least is the 265 75 16 legal for the 04 DX D22? And is the 285 75 16 legal with this model?

I have 2" suspension and 2" body lift and have chopped the guards back as far as they can be.hope I haven't left any important info out,need all these questions answered before I fork out another paycheck,don't want to have to get another new set anytime soon

I have 265 75 r16 on 0 offset 16 x 8 alloys, the tread corner sits just within the flare but the sidewall is all outside the flare, this gives the appearance that they stick out an inch, it looks great but I would prefer +15 - +20 offset, I have no body lift so it rubs a bit in the front even with mud flap trimming and guard massage at the back of the guard.
I may go with 235 85 r16 in the future to help, almost the same diameter but skinnier, from what I've read the width is not so important off road it's more about the length of the footprint, ie diameter.

its 15mm bigger in NSW isn't it? which would mean you can run a 245/70r16 since those stock tyres are 736mm OD

I have 265 75 r16 on 0 offset 16 x 8 alloys, the tread corner sits just within the flare but the sidewall is all outside the flare, this gives the appearance that they stick out an inch, it looks great but I would prefer +15 - +20 offset, I have no body lift so it rubs a bit in the front even with mud flap trimming and guard massage at the back of the guard.
I may go with 235 85 r16 in the future to help, almost the same diameter but skinnier, from what I've read the width is not so important off road it's more about the length of the footprint, ie diameter.

hmmm ok cheers

its 15mm bigger in NSW isn't it? which would mean you can run a 245/70r16 since those stock tyres are 736mm OD

yea just found out its defently 15mm. There is no way im dropping down in size that much after all the mods ive done just so i can be "safe" accoding to some wanker that has no idea and wrote a bunch of stupid F*****G rules!
From what i was just told by rta i can go 15mm bigger diametre, 25mm width and the rim can be 1" wider than stock,now ther plaqard in my car is all rubbed of and all i can make out is 205 r16 which is tiny and rim is 16x6 i think from what i can read on the label, Has anyone got a 04 dx d22 that can confirm these sizes?
if this is the case ill just do the best i can,ill get 16" rim and keep them inside the gaurds but no way am i going smaller than 265 75 r16. See how i go with blue slip.

These specs and rules are really giving me the shits with the DX model, Seriously thinking about cutting my losses and getting a new Nav.

+15 or +20 like already has been said...
I have 16 x 8 +10 sticks out looks good but have noticed fuel loss...and when your in shit rocky mud the side of the car cops a bashing

yea ill probly go -18 offset, that should sit nicely. I love my current tyres but they stick out a good 40+mm and draw way to much attention from cops. Now that i know no matter what they will be illegal ill just do my best so 16" rim (not sure to get 16x8 or x7 as only 7 is legal according to what i can read on the plaqard) and keep them inside the flare, That will prevent them from attracting the cops in the first place,so all that will be illegal is the diametre and i dought that a cop will pick that up if they are inside the flare he shouldnt pay to much notice to them.

The question now is 265 75 r16 (31.6x10.4 r16) The new Bighorn pattern which is meant to be pretty awsome though it is the tinyiest bit smaller than my current ones diametre wise and a inch smaller width which im not keen on.
Or the 285s (32.8x11.2 r16)which are very very close to same width and are 0.8 of a inch bigger in diametre which i like but they dont come in the new pattern and im not sure of power or fuel loss, im already heavy and slow as it is.

yea just found out its defently 15mm. There is no way im dropping down in size that much after all the mods ive done just so i can be "safe" accoding to some wanker that has no idea and wrote a bunch of stupid F*****G rules!
From what i was just told by rta i can go 15mm bigger diametre, 25mm width and the rim can be 1" wider than stock,now ther plaqard in my car is all rubbed of and all i can make out is 205 r16 which is tiny and rim is 16x6 i think from what i can read on the label, Has anyone got a 04 dx d22 that can confirm these sizes?
if this is the case ill just do the best i can,ill get 16" rim and keep them inside the gaurds but no way am i going smaller than 265 75 r16. See how i go with blue slip.

These specs and rules are really giving me the shits with the DX model, Seriously thinking about cutting my losses and getting a new Nav.

Yea they are 205/R16 on a 16x6 same as the SR/workmate hilux both run dueler D684 HT in that size which is 736mm OD, you can try and get it engineered but I doubt any engineer will sign off on something like that, well they never used to in QLD when we had the same crazy rule (50mm now though).

you could probably run a 31" tyre without anyone noticing, but a 33 is going to get you some attention.

If your worried about what the tire placard says for your DX nav. (Being fitted with smaller rims than the str model. Got and but an str sticker for your car and stick it on.

I did this to my SS commy a few years ago when i wanted to run 19inch rims, went and got the HSV sticker and stuck that on and all was sweet after that.

That's tiny!! I wish I stayed in QLD even more now haha. Yea I think ill go the 265 75 16,I want to try the new bighorn and as long as it isn't sticking out it shouldn't draw much attention.
ive spent 10 grand on fixing things in 12 months (not mentioning mods) on this ute so I think when I get my ABN in a few months its a new dual cab on the menu.

not sure to go 16x7 rims or 16x8,x7 will be more legal but i cant go up to 285 on them if i want to later. 16x8 is illegal but can go up in size later and keep same rims.

on a side note anyone want a set of 32x11.5 bighorns with 80-90% tread on 15x8 -23 offset sunnys

Last edited:
If your worried about what the tire placard says for your DX nav. (Being fitted with smaller rims than the str model. Got and but an str sticker for your car and stick it on.

I did this to my SS commy a few years ago when i wanted to run 19inch rims, went and got the HSV sticker and stuck that on and all was sweet after that.

Hmm good plan, I dought a mechanic will take a second look,even if they look at it in the first place

Last edited:
if you were in QLD I'd give you the number of my roadworthy guy who has passed many of my more questionable mods... alas its NSW though so dam.

should maybe ask around and suss out from 4wd groups who people use cause you can't tell me there aren't roadworthy places that will pass it just to make a few $$

cheers but yea back in good old NSW now. Yea there will be a few kicking around. As long as I get some that are inside the flares shouldn't have a issue with finding someone. I would of liked piece of mind with insurance but from what I can tell they wont cover the tyres if they say got slashed or something if there illegal but if I crash I think they have to prove it was the tyres fault for them not to cover it so I can deal with that if that's the case

Back