New radiator or get it welded up?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jardz91

Reaction score
On a recent trip I got a hole in my radiator and it is leaking. Its only a pin prick hole. My question is is getting it welded at a radiator shop worth it or am I better off just getting a brand new one? I go away alot and my ute experences some pretty tough roads

If i was you i would spend my money on a better new one with a warranty. I have repaired many different brands of radiators over the years and i couldnt guarantee any of them.

yea thinking of getting a new one. was quoted 180 to fixerd properly so I might aswell spend the bit extra to just get a new one. Whats the advantages of an alloy one? what are they usually?

i got a hole about 2mm in my pajero radiator a few yrs back,there is a thing in any auto shop that is like a plastery dough,it comes in a small tube and all you do is need it together and apply,its meant to be as strong as a weld.i have a tube in my car as emergency,for $15 can get you out of alot of trouble out bush.
anyways when i used it on my radiator it lasted till i got rid off the car,about 2yrs .not saying its a permenent solution but it will stop the leak until you get around to getting a new one and is something that wouldnty hurt to keep in the car.
i also used it to patch a hole in a stock alloy rim when i had them on that was caused by a rock getting caught inbetween it and the caliper

yea I put some stop leak in till I get the new one should be here start of nest week. dont really want to take it away with just a tempory soloution

not stop leak.it goes on the outside,heres a link.
its a permenant solution for small holes,and if its only a pin prick i wouldnt bother replaceing the whole thing.i wasnt sure about it when i got it but ive had it on a radiator for yrs and it held the air in my tyres when i patch the alloy rim until i got rid off the tyres.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/on...tic-Tank-Repair-Kit.aspx?pid=1955#Description

My radiator is !@#$ed aswell. Moron radiator bloke didn't crimp the top tank properly.

Buying a new genuine one tomorrow, about $600 or so.

Why genuine, because genuine parts are tested to the extreme and they always hold up unless your doubling the factory Hp.

Back