New muddies advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob Murray

Reaction score
Need advice! I'm getting muddies in a month on my d22, I am getting a 2 inch lift before I get them, I wanna seek advice on what size tyre and brand I shall use to get max out of them!!!

Last edited:
265/75r16 in KM2 is probably the best or if you like Mickey thompson get that size in MTZ, I wouldn't bother with most of the other brands, those 2 are really the best all round mud tyres.

I just got 265-75-16 bfg km2 fitted on my standard alloys they feel good on the road any the quietest muddy I've herd. I've had mtz mickey ts in a 33 and a 35 on previous patrols. And think the bfg is a better tyre so far. But time will tell

I just got 265-75-16 bfg km2 fitted on my standard alloys they feel good on the road any the quietest muddy I've herd. I've had mtz mickey ts in a 33 and a 35 on previous patrols. And think the bfg is a better tyre so far. But time will tell

Can you please elaborate more detail?

What's better about them vs the MTZ?

I'm very curious as I'm tossing up between the two ATM

The km2 seem more quite. My previous mtz appeared to wear quickly. I can't really say how my km2 are going to wear as they are new but a mate of mine is replacing his next week.he got 100.000 out of his old set of km2s I would of been lucky to get 40.000 out of my mtz

The km2 seem more quite. My previous mtz appeared to wear quickly. I can't really say how my km2 are going to wear as they are new but a mate of mine is replacing his next week.he got 100.000 out of his old set of km2s I would of been lucky to get 40.000 out of my mtz

have you had a chance off road testing? does it outperform the MTZ? Not just mud but also sand - sorry for the 20 questions!

Haha yeah we were looking at em last night there pretty knackered but nearly roadworthy still lol. Haven't had my km2 off road yet. Hopefully on the week end i can go for a play

A mate has a set of Maxxi's muddies on his 79 Series Cruiser. He's gotten about 17,000 out of them and they are 2/3's worn.

I've gotten about 60,000 out of my BFG muddies and they are 2/3's worn.

Yes, the Nav is a lighter vehicle, but my mate was getting 60,000 out of BFG's before he changed to the Maxxi's.

Sidewall construction is also something you may like to consider, good strong sidewall's help against getting staked through the side.

Also look at Coopers, tyres not beer.

I run Hankook M/T 265/75 (DynaPro MT) on std rims. I have found them to be a good all round mud tire. They cost me $300 each. Very quite on road, and good traction in the mud. I have done some rocky tracks, and they handled them well. They also seem to be wearing well. My last set were BF KM1s (MT) and the hankooks are a much better performer to be honest. I will be getting them again, or trying the federals next time. The MTZ and KM2s may be a better performers, but I havent used them yet. Am very happy with the Hankooks.

Maxxis Trepadors are good to. A mate ran 35" treps on his Patrol and they out performed the MTZ's on his brothers cruiser hands down, also did a trip up the cape on them and they barely hard a mark on them. Bang for buck, can't go wrong, they are soft and grip in the wet to, the Patrol was a comp truck and didn't get driven a heap, so I can't say what milage you'll get, but like I said, they were in good shape after going to the Cape from Brissy. They are pretty noisey though

I run Hankook M/T 265/75 (DynaPro MT) on std rims. I have found them to be a good all round mud tire. They cost me $300 each. Very quite on road, and good traction in the mud. I have done some rocky tracks, and they handled them well. They also seem to be wearing well. My last set were BF KM1s (MT) and the hankooks are a much better performer to be honest. I will be getting them again, or trying the federals next time. The MTZ and KM2s may be a better performers, but I havent used them yet. Am very happy with the Hankooks.

Yep, grew up on Hankook's and Kuhmo's, not bad tyres. Also read good things about Toyo's.

Never had any, but not really heard much good about the Goodyear mud tyres.

BFG's KM2's you will get at least 60k out of them, are quiet on the road and have the best mud shedding tread out there.

I've just put a set of 265 km2's on my d22 about 1000k's ago. The main things that made me go the bfg's were tyre life, noise and price. They were about $30 a tyre cheaper. Most report pretty poor tyre life from mtz and as I do between 30000-40000k's a year that was my biggest factor for the bfg's. I've heard reports of 70000k's plus. The bfg is pretty quiet for a muddy even on the highway I don't think they are much louder than the standard tyres.

If you do some searches around the different forums most reports are positive for the bfg, where's as the mtz are quite split. In the end though they are at the top of there class and both will be a great tyre.

-tyler

Ive got a set of the Maxxis Bighorns on and so do a few of my mates. They are a fairly soft tyre, so they are wearing quicker than I would have liked, but they are also a little cheaper so maybe the cost might even out over the long run, not sure.

In my opinion they do provide awesome grip in the mud and have some good side wall grip too. They are a little loud on the highway, and twice had the fronts lock up and slide on a wet, down hill road, braking med-hard for a red light towing my 2 ton boat. Normal driving conditions they seem quite grippy.

I think driving style has a large effect on how long the tread will last, along with rotations and alignment. Driving hard into and around corners is going to wear them out a lot quicker, instead of selecting an appropriate speed and cruising around.

Ive done about 20,000kms on my MTZs and they wouldnt be 1/3 worn yet. Definitely depends on how you drive. I should see 60,000kms out of mine. IN saying that, i was going for KM2s but the tyre shop jacked the price up at last minute, the MTZs were $30 cheaper per tire. KM2s can be found for $300 each atm for 265 75 16.

Latest posts

Back