New member from Yorkshire.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

some bloke

Reaction score
Hi all Mew Member from England, New to Navara D22 ownership but not new to nissans Have had 1986 260 patrol with the 3.3 Na engine A 2001 Y61 with the 2.8 L 6 cylinder. and a 1997 terano with the 2.7 .
Right now i just acquired a Project 2002 D22 with a still running but quite ill runaway engine. Not sure what went wrong but guessing a turbo failed and it got exited with all that available oil and went off on a rampage. Story goes the owner kept a cool head and stuck it in fourth gear and stalled it out standing on the brake.
I Have not stripped anything off it yet to see what damage was done, and its had a radiator and alternator robbed off it and some heater switches and no doubt other related things i have not noticed yet.
Plan was to transplant it with a BMW N57 or Mercedess OM 605 606, but thoughts are now at least look and see just how bad the YD25 is before i get in to a transplant.
I always liked the look of the D22 and it was one ofv those i wanted as my next project, A friend got this one as a spare parts donor after its runaway, and i got what was left when he sold his d22 and got an Isuzu D Max.
Any advice from the D22/YD25 knowledgable on where potential issues might be worth looking at after a runaway situation would be handy. I have only fired the engine up no more than 20 seconds and it was starting to rev out of control , but it switched off on the key i guess it was not quite hot enough and had not quite enough oil in the intake to run without diesel fuel, but it was certainly thinking about it.
Any advice welcome thanks. .

I'm not sure the engine bay will take a 5 or 6 cyl inline engine, but if they fit they'd do well.

Runaway is usually caused by turbo bearing failure or excessive blowby (piston rings/bore damage/valve guides?) so repair may be possible (if the turbo is okay, a wet + dry compression test would tell the story).

Good luck with it!

I will look at the turbo first i am expecting its failed , and supose if that is the case do the compressions and look around the cam train. Then the sump off and new shells see if any of the rods are cracked. Some how i am expecting the worst but only one way to find out.
The transplant? The BMW N57 is quite short and i think i will get it in ok, might even get to keep the air con . The Mercedes is a Bit longer will be more of a squeeze but probably a better option as its all mechanical and simple to wire in.

To my knowledge the Beemer 57 is quite a sturdy piece of kit too.
The First N57s were a bit problematic on the timing chains" Tensioner and lack of maintainance" the ones from 2010 ish were improved in this respect and should last better. Thing is its down to oil changes and being aware listening for noises and not ignoring them.
Big down side to BMW N47 &57 is the Chain location at the clutch end its an engine out job. But every cloud ETc , at least you can get to do the chain and the clutch at the same time.

Had a half hour on that D22 before work this morning, the turbo is slacker than a slack thing in the shaft. I am confident its been getting its oil from there.
Think top end strip next and injectors out do a compression test see what the numbers are and hope i have no low figures amongst them. .

Hi I posted a blog re valves dancing g on top ofthe pistons question if I bt chance have over tightened the head would this be the problem I was pulling it down to 80 fld pound my be two much need help onthis one please

Hi I posted a blog re valves dancing g on top ofthe pistons question if I bt chance have over tightened the head would this be the problem I was pulling it down to 80 fld pound my be two much need help onthis one please
Not sure but did you replace the head gasket with one of the appropriate thickness, it could explain your clearance . But equaly check you timed the engine up correctly it could be out on the timing, or even jumped a tooth.
I have seen that happen on BMW N47 engines pre the improved tension er set up from 2009 on wards, the early ones were a horror story if neglected or ignored when they started rattling.

Not sure but did you replace the head gasket with one of the appropriate thickness, it could explain your clearance . But equaly check you timed the engine up correctly it could be out on the timing, or even jumped a tooth.
I have seen that happen on BMW N47 engines pre the improved tension er set up from 2009 on wards, the early ones were a horror story if neglected or ignored when they started hi

Hi thanks FIR the reply yes I used a .075 mm gasket which they class as a 2 notch should have being plenty of clearances like I mentioned my be pulling the head down to tight I know the timing is spot on so I am lost as to what inthe hell I am doing wrong cheets mate welshy

Hi thanks FIR the reply yes I used a .075 mm gasket which they class as a 2 notch should have being plenty of clearances like I mentioned my be pulling the head down to tight I know the timing is spot on so I am lost as to what inthe hell I am doing wrong cheets mate welshy
When you replaced the head gasket, what other work if any did you do to the engine.

When you replaced the head gasket, what other work if any did you do to the engine.
Retired the motor as per instructions front cam loads at 9 o'clock balancer on top dead centre all timing marks lined up 6 mm drill into pump for timing cc lined up on the scissor gear so where am I going wrong need to get this right aon a 2005 patrol 3 litre how do I advance it 2 deg please as it has a 6 mm drill into to time it many thanks welshu

Retired the motor as per instructions front cam loads at 9 o'clock balancer on top dead centre all timing marks lined up 6 mm drill into pump for timing cc lined up on the scissor gear so where am I going wrong need to get this right aon a 2005 patrol 3 litre how do I advance it 2 deg please as it has a 6 mm drill into to time it many thanks welshu
Ok. My take on this is go back to the timing again, strip it and re time the engine. DO NOT rotate the engine at all by hand , just time it up leave it and spin it on the starter itself to give the tensioner a chance to sort itself out, dont turn it by hand they dont like that.
Go back re time it from scratch and crank it over on the starter.

Latest posts

Back