Most annoying ticking noise

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, will attach videos of my 2010 thai D40 yd25 making a horrible ticking noise. I'm thinking injectors but perhaps I'm wrong?
Had a noisy idler pulley that ticked and I replaced that thinking it was the only issue but alas no. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated before it goes to the dump, I mean shop.
Thanks in advance 🙏🍻

Hey guys, will attach videos of my 2010 thai D40 yd25 making a horrible ticking noise. I'm thinking injectors but perhaps I'm wrong?
Had a noisy idler pulley that ticked and I replaced that thinking it was the only issue but alas no. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated before it goes to the dump, I mean shop.
Thanks in advance 🙏🍻
View attachment 37447
View attachment 37448

Bang noise in 1st video is not the ute

I'd put a mechanic's stethoscope to the timing chain housing and listen in there. It could be the chains slapping on the tensioners, which isn't a great thing as it stretches the chain and causes chain and sprocket damage (and chain failure = engine failure).

Well it's definitely not the chains, had that checked today. Will be delving into it a bit deeper over next week or so. Seems to be coming from injector area towards back of engine. Unfortunately I've only had it a few months so don't know it's history.
It's not high k's at 160 thou so I may try putting an injector cleaner through to see if that makes any difference

Just thought I'd update you all
I removed the injectors and had them tested (results were good) and then decided I'd fit a double row timing chain too. Put it back together and noise was still there. Have narrowed it down to a valve as realised it was popping in airbox too, so currently stripping head off to sort.
Bit of a mission but has been great as means I can do everything else at same time. I had blocked EGR but will do a complete delete while everything is apart
It's certainly the worst vehicle I've worked on with access to everything but will be a trustworthy workhorse when I'm done- fingers crossed 🤞

Gday wulrus.
Did u end up sorting out the noise. Be interested to know the outcome.
Hey mate, yep it was a sticky valve but also found the shim gap was too big causing a constant chatter. Ordered new shims which helped a bit but still hear it.
Am thinking I may just get a replacement head and try that at some stage - although it's better than it was, just an annoying little idiosyncrasy with the vehicle

Yeah sounds a tricky one. Personally I think the head is unlikely the cause. If it is shim related usually there is an improvement once warmed up with thermal expansion. Eventually the problem will rare its head getting more obvious and easier to diagnose.

Latest posts

Back