manual locking hubs

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy d22

Reaction score
hi all i have looked in the threads for an answer to this question, so here goes. i have a d22 with manual locking front hubs and recently went 4wding and selected 2hi when i got to the black top but forgot to manually disengage the hubs from lock to free. i then clocked up 600kms coming home from pt lincoln here in sa then noticed the hubs were still in lock position.
is this bad, could it cause long term damage? i have heard that you can leave the hubs in lock and engage 4wd when required, is this true?
i havent noticed anything different to the vehice since, either with handling, steering, or being able to engage the hubs again. thanks guys.

Na, you won't do any damage just having the hubs locked in. Mine are always locked, but I have no choice driving a beauticians ute.

You'll burn more fuel and cause a little bit more wear, is all.

All DSE vehicles here must have the hubs engaged full time, so that when they muddle their way into a high-risk-of-burnover-situation, they don't get themselves stuck thinking they're in 4x4 when they're not.

Then they boot up and down the freeway with the hubs engaged. No biggy, taxpayer funded fuel.

looks like im leaving them locked in. workin on muddy sites its a pita to get out lock em in reverse the trailer then unlock on the bitumen, thanks guys for the quick reply.

Mine are usually locked in except when I go between towns and I know I wont be going anywhere near the dirt, hoping to save a little fuel!

Cheers Brad

for those you leave them locked in all the time make sure you regularly grease the prop shaft. the UK guys (they have fixed hubs) actually wear out the prop shaft so often that nissan came up with a heavy duty version.

My hubs only get locked when there needed.

Leaving them locked is just extra wear and tear.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back