Ice boxes

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nakedape

Reaction score
I want to get me one of those fancy ice boxes (Techni-ice or similar). But I don't know what size I should get - too small & I can't fit all the goodies in - too large and every thing goes flying about inside the box. Figure I'd want 7 days supplies (food, not beer).

Who's got what, how big, & is it any good

nakedape

I have an 100 ltr techn iice,but i use it for beer and food.
it takes a lot of ice so is very cold for a long time.
i vacuum seal all my meat so it can float around in the slurry and wont get water logged.
i think they are great...

Very interesting! I went through this myself last xmas fridge or ice box. I bought a 60lt eve KOOL fiber glass job, I had my meat criovaced from butcher, Ice lasted a week. I did keep a wet towel over the ice box and in the shade as much as posible.

I bought a techni ice 100L and 40L a couple years ago now and love them. On longer trips I use the 40L for food and use the 100L for important stuff like beer! The ice stays frozen for longer if its not getting opened every 5 min

i went to techni ice to buy a 80 litre ... walked out with a 100 litre (wife did not know the difference)

so far i've gone out three times with it - load a full box of coke at the bottom, a layer of ice, then the food, a layer of ice then the freeze sheets that came with the box. Did not need to replace ANY ice for first 2 days (some of the food that went in was frozen, the remainder was already cold from the fridge)

wish i bought the 120 litre instead though.

i've got the 80l techni ice. i find it big enough for 2 people for a few days, i also like how it's not too big and i can take it in the boat. Techni ice are rugged too. they promote them for offroaders to stand & sit on them. i freeze 2lt bottles of water to assist the ice packs too, when they thaw you have drinking water. i've got the white one & my mate has the yellow one. i find the white one keeps ice for about half a day longer.

Techni Ice are great, get good feedback from everyone I've spoken to, need to get one soon.

Your right in what you say Will ... the lighter colours keep better than the darker colours. So White/Yellow are better than the Blue.

Mind you, i try to keep mine out of the sun as well - that helps a lot too.

Not that I use them very often these days but in the cooler climates we used to get an ice slurry to last 4 or 5 days in those large foam boxes that people use to ship their catch via plane when they go on fishing trips.

We sent a couple home from Cairns about 20 years ago after a fishing holiday and after getting them home and seeing how well the ice survived we kept them for the small camping trips and they work brilliantly for freebies. I'd never take them away on a long trip because they aren't built to survive bush bashing but for a few boys down the beach for a few nights they do as well as any expensive store brought box.

This model looks like a go if ur worried about keep all the beer cold at once :rock:

Attachments

• Ut_200L.jpg
    Ut_200L.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back