dial in chip and boost on dyno

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tufnav

Reaction score
G'day guys,
Taking the nav in tommorow to dial in my chip and boost on a dyno. Expecting around 40 to 50% over stock output (if possible?)
Current engine mods are blocked egr, swirl butterfly removed, 3inch hurricane zorst inc dump, ase front mount intercooler and manual boost controller.
Wish me luck, will keep you all posted.

WHAT 50%? is that on a yd25? or a zd30, cant see the zd30 getting that sort of increase without blowing.

Could be wishful thinking but heard of others achieving close to these figures with similar mods. Its a well looked after zd30. Well I just wait and see what I can make out of the chip. Going to run max boost of around 19psi.

yeah you can get a dyno sheet that will say the power fig you want don't mean its actually a true reading

Not really interested in power figures as that's just a guide to tune by. More interested in the fuel mixture and boost map. But yeah thanks for your input.

I hope you get those figures too,

I have never had mine dynoed, mine has the EGR block, 2.5 inch, xr6 front mount IC, Pre filter removed and CHIPIT module.
Running 17psi.

it will definitely move just make sure your clutch is good, otherwise it will slip, mine is on its way out and it struggles up hills.

Also GET a good digital EGT gauge and mount in MANIFOLD! if your after all out power you, its obvious they will ramp up the fuel a lot! so there will be a huge boost in temp.

Mine doesn't blow smoke in 7/7 tune with 17psi. but the temp and clutch limits me, plus my economy will go to shit.

My fuel system seem to be very good as well, so i would love to see the results as mine could have the same potential.

:)

Yeah got an egt mounted in the manifold and definitely keep an eye on those temps. Well I hope the clutch holds. As far as I'm aware its never been replaced. Heavy Duty replacement ons on the waiting list till this clutch shows signs of slippage. Maybe my expectations were too high by the sounds of it... going to tune for more power not max power and try retain fuel economy as best I can.

I think the 40%-50% is from dead stock, then you add all the mods you have done with a tune and it would give you around that mark... Just with the added chip you may get 30%. But i am just guessing, anything is possible.

Just bury your throttle up a decent hill!!! in 4th and watch for slipping.

Since adding the chip and upping the boost slightly I've noticed when taking off 1st gear feels real short and the tacho seems to rev out very fast. If its slipping at any stage I reckon its when taking off flat to fast. Never noticed any clutch slippage up hills at all. Hmm keep that in mind as I can't afford a replacement just yet due to big dental bills draining funds. Newho, I will post my results tomorrow.

Yer mine holds on at 1st and second squirts. but as soon as its under load up a hill and a flatten it, as soon as it gets on boost it will slip a little and you will have to feather it. If you can't notice it up hills on heavy throttle then i wouldn't worry about it.

Mine is at the END of the peddle stroke hah, its not a surprise, I'm in the same boat as you cant afford one yet, need around a 2 month extension. then all terrain HD will be in. Need to take it very easy till then.

:/

Yeah heard good reports on the all terrain gdmorning clutch buy on another note what's your thoughts on the exedy hd?

That was the original clutch I was looking at. around 750.

However i went into arb and there sell 4terrain... they rambled on about how good they are even better than exedy, so i asked for the price and they wanted 1050 haha, your dreaming! and that was just the kit.

so I went to a local brake a clutch, they could get the kit for around 550-580.
Thats why im heading 4terrain, due to price and reviews. Im sure they would both perform well.

Just remember to get flywheel skim if you go a new clutch! important!!!

Okay guys results are in! But before I get into that I have to say that I definitely learnt a bit from the dyno tuners.
A few interesting points to know:
Obviously more fuel makes more power but slight increases in fueling makes egts climb faster. Which is not what you want when towing.
Setting 4 on the chipit module is the sweet spot as any higher egts creep higher then my liking. Mind you that's underload.
I did a comparison from setting 2 with setting 4...
Not much power to be gained between the two but a considerable amount of torque was made.
So I found out that you reach a spot of max power range then from there only torque gains are made by adding more fuel but then by doing so adds to egts.
Also adding boost didn't add any power but it did add torque and reduce egt.
Highly recommend upping boost 2-3psi when adding fueling not just for the extra torque but to drop those egt figures.
On the dyno on setting 4 at 17psi egts sees 600degrees
Where as on setting 4 at stock boost 15psi it got 650degrees.
Remembering these egts are under full load conditions on the dyno at around 3500 to 4000rpm.

Ok so now some figures.
Firstly with theses mods:
3inch full hurricane zorst inc dump and hi flow cat, Ase fmic, egr blocked and standard boost of around 15psi.
It made 80kw @ 104kph
With. 212nm @ 62kph

I'm not sure what bog stock output produces but by adding a chipit and upping boost slightly to those above mods got some decent results.

Now with chipit on setting 4 and boost set at 17psi through a manual boost controller it made 112kw @ 100kph
With. 315nm@ 66kph

That's a 30 to 35% increase. I'm happy with that for now to funds build up and I might play around with the idea of water injection and clutch upgrade.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info that helps to gauge my car, as its pretty much identical to yous minus 1/2 inch smaller exhaust, but mine has no cat and only one small straight through hot dog muffler. Plus FMIC setup is slightly different.

Over stock you would have made around the 45% increase. As i said
Over your setup running into the dyno shop around the 35%.
so you haven't gone higher than 17 psi.

Also your nm seem very low- has the dyno bloke given you a way to convert them. As stock its around the 310-320nm. Are you sure there not in ft/lbs

Finally how did they fully load your car up could you elaborate.

Cheers Matt

That's what I thought lawry. Maybe your right and some conversions need to be done. Not overly fussed what the piece of paper says.

its a bloody rocket now and tail happy in the wet unloaded. Should have done these mods years ago. Should be awesome in the soft sand next time I go beach fishing. It used to struggle unless I went low range 2nd n kept revs up.

Didn't run it up any higher than 17psi as I was trying to keep reliability in mind but I'm sure 19psi would bring those higher egts I saw up in the revs probably another 50degrees or so lower.

I would have done more tests but I'm sure you all are aware how expensive dyno time isespecially when they don't let you do it. Would have spent a bit longer if my damn dentist bill wasn't so damn much! Lol.

Sounds awsome!

Yer the chip does wake the car up aye. Love the torque, if only i could use it :(
yer dynos cost an arm and a leg, in some way you have paid for me and many others who wished to get there car dynoed :D so thank you lol. I appreciate it.

If there isnt a different in power from 4 to setting 5 on chipit besides EGT then i'll probably just drop it back down.

Yer mine isnt the original turbo so im not overly keen to ramp up the boost as im not sure of the limits of it. Only a cheap ebay turbo. Still performs exactly the same.

Yeah no probs. Definitely good info. Upping to setting 5 wouldn't chance power figures dramatically but does improve torque a little but egts you can add 50 to 100degrees up in rev range.
To make proper use of any higher settings I think a bigger turbo or one that flows more to get those egts in a happier place. Or water injection is a much cheaper alternative and is something I'm considering to play around with at a later date.
With water injection I'm sure settings 5 or higher should maintain safe egt but I get that tested on same dyno when i get experimenting with water injection.

Latest posts

Back