clunk when come to a stop

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevor1985

Reaction score
hi guys got a 2011 st navara diesle manual.
when i come to stop there is about a 2 second delay and then a clunk under my car not huge but very anoying as far as im concerned if u pay $40000 plus for a car it should not make any unusual noises and also went down to stockton beach last weekend went from high 4 into low 4 and went to take off and real bad burning clutch smell took off fine just real bad smell and never happened again, im getting worried that all this internet hype i read before buying was true can somebody give me some onfo please..

Hi Trevor!

You better believe all that hype because it's true. EVERY make of car has problems and people jump on forums to have a bit of a whinge or see if there's a solution every single day.

Does it make the Navara a BAD car? Nope. It makes it a CAR. End of story - every single manufacturer has issues. Check out Aust Govt Recalls if you really want to have a look, and discover things like Jaguar's Diesel catches on fire because of the DPF or a half-dozen different models of Volvo whose engines won't stop, check it out:

What are the hazards?

In the worst case scenario, the engine may not stop running when it is switched off and may continue to run until the engine breaks down.

What are the defects?

The engine oil level may be above the maximum level marking. If the engine oil level is above maximum it may lead to increased engine speed.
Anyway, let's talk about your clunker. 2 seconds after stopping ... that seems a little odd. If it was happening right as the car was stopping I'd say brake pads getting too good a grip.

I wonder if the turbocharger's actuator is thumping as the turbo spools down and the vanes are closed off? Try this: in neutral, start the car and give it a rev to about 1800-200rpm (no need for more, it's boosting well and truly at that point). Now take your foot off the loud pedal and wait. Does it make the sound?

I suppose there might be something in the drive train that's relaxing - perhaps a uni is not 100%, you might determine that by putting the thing on jack stands and getting underneath and inspecting the drive shafts.

If it's happening in 4WD mode exclusively, hopefully it's not the transfer chain.

Does it happen at the exact same moment that you depress the clutch, put the vehicle in neutral and then release the clutch (engine idling, vehicle moving slowly then brought to a stop)?

As for the clutch, many utes use dual mass flywheels these days, the face of the flywheel heats up quickly and doesn't dissipate the heat - and cooks the clutch. Nissan have been replacing clutches that wear prematurely under warranty.

Do the st have the rear brake proportion valve?
Tipping thats the clunk in the clunker.

Snooker ball in the chassis rail?

You can't have taken delivery of it very long ago. First step should be to take the service manager for a drive, point it out, and say "FIX IT."

This is a true story! I had a clunk upon stopping only with just a little extra centre pedal
It was starting to concern me so I started looking ! Ended up being my fridge in the tub. I haven't taken it out since the Muster , just turned it off and removed the lid and placed it inside , So when I braked harder the lid tilted forward went thump then fell back into place.:sad::suicide2:

Hi Trevor!

You better believe all that hype because it's true. EVERY make of car has problems and people jump on forums to have a bit of a whinge or see if there's a solution every single day.

Does it make the Navara a BAD car? Nope. It makes it a CAR. End of story - every single manufacturer has issues. Check out Aust Govt Recalls if you really want to have a look, and discover things like Jaguar's Diesel catches on fire because of the DPF or a half-dozen different models of Volvo whose engines won't stop, check it out:

Anyway, let's talk about your clunker. 2 seconds after stopping ... that seems a little odd. If it was happening right as the car was stopping I'd say brake pads getting too good a grip.

I wonder if the turbocharger's actuator is thumping as the turbo spools down and the vanes are closed off? Try this: in neutral, start the car and give it a rev to about 1800-200rpm (no need for more, it's boosting well and truly at that point). Now take your foot off the loud pedal and wait. Does it make the sound?

I suppose there might be something in the drive train that's relaxing - perhaps a uni is not 100%, you might determine that by putting the thing on jack stands and getting underneath and inspecting the drive shafts.

If it's happening in 4WD mode exclusively, hopefully it's not the transfer chain.

Does it happen at the exact same moment that you depress the clutch, put the vehicle in neutral and then release the clutch (engine idling, vehicle moving slowly then brought to a stop)?

As for the clutch, many utes use dual mass flywheels these days, the face of the flywheel heats up quickly and doesn't dissipate the heat - and cooks the clutch. Nissan have been replacing clutches that wear prematurely under warranty.
I'm also having this issue with my 2011 navara after I stop a few seconds delay then a thump in the back end

Yep my rear brake cylinders were leaking. Contaminated shoes and caused the shoes to swell. Upon braking shoes would grip drum then suddenly pop off once stopped, making a loud clacking sound. Occurred intermittently but was east to identify.

The tyres shouldn't do it. Clunks in the rear are either:

* Drive shaft - more often than not the universal joints
* Diff bearings - have seen this a few times now (and had it myself)
* Axles (rare) - worn bearings
* Suspension - check bushes in leaf springs and check mounts (including on axle)
* Brakes sticking and releasing after stopping (usually from some contamination eg mud)

I'd also check the handbrake cables to make sure they're not hindered in any way (eg rubbing against something that's been added underneath).

I'd also check how tightly the spare is being held in - it should be up firmly!

Latest posts

Back