Catchcans for D22 ZD30 motor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem with the cheapies on diesel engine is pretty much what has been mentioned in the post above mine. If the fittings are too small, you will cause pressure build up in the motor and push oil out seals. The provent and ryco ones have 25mm inlet and outlet ports on them, the stock breather hose on the d22 yd25 is around 20mm from memory. I fitted one of the small forefront ones on mine and while it works ok, the ryco I have fitted to my patrol does a lot better job. With the forefront, I fitted a clear length of hose from the outlet of the can to the inlet on the intake piping. This was fairly well covered in oil on the inside, however, the ryco on the patrol has clear hoses on both inlet and outlet and while the inlet hose is getting pretty oily, there's nothing at all in the outlet hose. This will come down to the filtering media though as the forefront can runs a wound stainless mesh filter, while the ryco uses as actual filter paper type element.

In saying all that, ryco do make an apparently provent replacement filter to suit both small and large versions which I believe is made out of the same material as the filter ryco use in their own cans.

If i did buy a 1 litre one with 12mm fittings, could i just drill them out and put bigger fittings on?
Or will that change the filtration?
Or will a 15mm inlet outlet do?

Last edited:
15mm should be ok. I can't remember for sure on the Navara, but the zd30 patrol is 1/2" (12.5mm) out of the rocker cover and 5/8" (a touch under 16mm) into the inlet piping, so I'd say the zd30 d22 should be the same as that.

15mm should be ok. I can't remember for sure on the Navara, but the zd30 patrol is 1/2" (12.5mm) out of the rocker cover and 5/8" (a touch under 16mm) into the inlet piping, so I'd say the zd30 d22 should be the same as that.

Yeah just did mine. 5/8 fuel lines did the trick. But needed some brass fitting to get to the 25mm inlet and outlets of the Ryco. Ryco sell a full kit for $230 at supershit just need to buy fuel hoses. The stuff around to get it all to match up did my head in and I should have just got the kit instead of the single catch can. Cause all the fittings were in there.

If you have a look on fleabay they have a wide assortment of catch can reducers, elbows, fittings and anything else you're likely to need. I use reinforced (clear) hose from Bunnings, rough maybe but it works fine. I rerouted mine so that it goes into the intake before the air filter. It means I change the air filter regularly (annually - about 25- 30 k kms), but the turbo and inlet are always dry as a whistle. No hint of oil.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MANN-HU...284021&hash=item1a966b9a28:g:vRQAAOSwZINazWHy

Latest posts

Back