Camper Trailer leaf spring question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have replaced the leaf springs on my Camper Trailer, the old springs had the locator pin for the axle in the dead centre of the spring (long ways), the new leaves are slightly offset towards the front, it's not a big deal and doesnt rub on the guards the wheels just dont sit in the middle of the guards now.

Do you think it would be possible to drill a new hole in the leaves about an inch behind the existing pin and insert another pin in them? Just worried about weakening the springs, they are 5 leaf packs, I think they would be ok?

Thanks.

wouldn't worry about it. its proberlu done so it centres under compression.

5 leaf? how heavy is this camper ???

The offset springs are from dual axle trailers, its the only ones the trailer place had when I went in.

The old leaf packs were 4 packs, I put 5's in because I'm adding stuff to it. I'm not sure what it weighs at the moment, need to pull into a weighbridge when I see one open :p

Mate, When i fitted Hilux diffs to a suzuki we had to drill almost 3 inchs away from the original hole. Never broke the springs even with the 37 inch tyres twisting them.
Just a bit of food for thought.

Im thinking it will be a fair bit harder than normal steel, should eventually get through it though.

I hope.........ha ha.

unless you have to i wouldn't bother. all ours have offset axles locations. its obviously designed like that for a reason.

the trailer dual axle?
5 leaf is probably 2000kg springs.

If I don't reposition the axle then my other option is to reposition the wheel arches, I might take a picture and post it up to show you how far it is out.

Im thinking it will be a fair bit harder than normal steel, should eventually get through it though.

I hope.........ha ha.

Can't be as hard as HSS or tool steel, otherwise it wouldn't be a very good spring, it'd just fracture instead of bouncing. So you'll get through it.

5 leaf? ive got 7leaf rebounds plus shocks on 1200kg trailer and thats just enough, mates got 9leaf rebounds plus shocks on his. if you gunna try drillin them, sharpen the bit to 136deg point and predrill tiny pilot hole, use slightly higher concentration of cutting coolant for extra lube properties so dont overheat bit
cheers and good luck

Latest posts

Back