Best tray type for tradies

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Most useful tray configuration for tradies?

• Styleside tub

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Styleside tub w/ secure fibreglass canopy

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Tray w/ removable sides

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Tray w/ removable extra-high sides

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Tray w/ removable sides & secure fibreglass canopy

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Tray w/ removable sides & canvas canopy

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Dion

Reaction score
Once I've finished using my second Navara I'm looking to sell it into the tradesman/apprentice market, and am thinking I may well replace the tub in due course. I'd like to minimise my loss on this vehicle so anything that will increase its value is key.

So to the tradies on the forum, what is the most useful configuration? I know this will vary based on each individual trade.

A few details - if I do build a tray, it will be steel framed with a (plywood) timber deck, no wider than the cab, with a full headboard.

Im A Tradie but I dont use the Nav for work . Its for towing the van/Boat and FWD

I use a light truck Much larger tray . Dont need FWD on most sites. Ha ha

I bought mine with color coded ARB fiberglass canopy, alloy ladder rack and drawers fitted inside the tub. For my trade, (telsrta/communications) it is perfect. If I was buying new and setting up everything myself, I would have an extended alloy tray with drop sides and checker plate tool boxes fitted to each side with a ladder rack, this would allow me to carry my dirtbike without a trailer. I would probably have to design the roof rack into sections so it can be removed easily make room for the bikes handlebars etc.

Like has been posted, it really comes down to what you will be using it for

The most common trays I see on utes without doubt is the alloy with drop sides.

You going to respray the ute as well Dion?

The most common trays I see on utes without doubt is the alloy with drop sides.

You going to respray the ute as well Dion?

I will be respraying "my" ute - the diesel one - as soon as the weather dries up. The second one - the petrol/LPG one - will be selectively resprayed as some panels will need replacing prior to sale.

Thanks for the input guys.

alloys are more common but thats due to the large non-trade market. tradies will use whatever it comes with.

however as a tradie who uses the tray a lot, steel tray is a must. wood deck is preferred. the hardwood seams fairly good. usually don't need extended sides as it make its to hard to lift gear over the top.
removable sides is a must and i prefer the pined sides. the ones that you can slide off tend to slide off when you drop the sides down, nearly broken my foot a few times from that.

alloy decks are crap for load carrying. to weak and flexible. sides will flex causing the strops to come off and if you crank them up tight you buckle the side boards.
the alloy piping takes up to much space. steel is smaller and stronger.

Steel Tray with removable sides & also a canvas canopy if needed is my current setup. Although wanting to setup a tradies trailer and leave canvas on ute permanently would be ideal, saving a lot of time swapping tools in & out for weekends.......

Latest posts

Back