another towbar question

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kd0603

Reaction score
Ive been offered a 3000 kg genuine nissan towbar for a 2000 d22 with rear step
will this towbar fit my 2013 d22 ,cant get an answer off nissan as they just keep saying i should purchase a new one ,no sales pitch there at all,haha
it would be a shame to let an unused towbar go to waste

you don,t require the genuine nissan branded towbar , haymen reece is a very well known brand and no doubt better the the nissan stockie. can,t see why this t/ bar wouldn,t fit. both models have a rear step on the bumber bar.

Ive been offered a 3000 kg genuine nissan towbar for a 2000 d22 with rear step
will this towbar fit my 2013 d22 ,cant get an answer off nissan as they just keep saying i should purchase a new one ,no sales pitch there at all,haha
it would be a shame to let an unused towbar go to waste
The towbar you have been offered will fit but remember the older model has a 90mm shorter tub so the bar may not be flush so to speak.

you don,t require the genuine nissan branded towbar , haymen reece is a very well known brand and no doubt better the the nissan stockie. can,t see why this t/ bar wouldn,t fit. both models have a rear step on the bumber bar.

Here is an example of how it gets awkward and sometimes expensive by not using the right towbar, when there's a problem Nissan just say no. They covered the chassis crack damage only if the correct Nissan towbar was fitted.

"The problem affects Navara D40s manufactured in Spain between July 2005 and January 2010 and fitted with Nissan Australia genuine accessory towbars.
Nissan Australia spokesman Chris Jordan said that while 40,400 vehicles had been identified as part of the recall, only 9800 of those had been fitted with the factory towbars and were susceptible to chassis rail damage."

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-31140.html

Here is an example of how it gets awkward and sometimes expensive by not using the right towbar, when there's a problem Nissan just say no. They covered the chassis crack damage only if the correct Nissan towbar was fitted.

"The problem affects Navara D40s manufactured in Spain between July 2005 and January 2010 and fitted with Nissan Australia genuine accessory towbars.
Nissan Australia spokesman Chris Jordan said that while 40,400 vehicles had been identified as part of the recall, only 9800 of those had been fitted with the factory towbars and were susceptible to chassis rail damage."

https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/archive/index.php/t-31140.html
While that's all well and good, this is regarding a d22 and it unless it had an extended warranty it will be out of warranty shortly (if not already) and Nissan won't care anyway...

As for the older model towbar, the tub on the 2013 model is about 100mm longer, so your tongue will sit nicely under the rear step. You can get extended tongues, but they reduce the towing capacity. I have an 08 model towbar in my 2010 (same situation as yours, with the longer tub) but I have removed the rear step and mounted the towbar on top of the chassis to give a better departure angle. If you were to remove the step, you can get a cover panel to fill the gap between the tub and chassis from arb or tjm or you can make your own. Then you can fit that towbar without any issues...

also keep in mind some early d22 rear bars had poor mounting setup which caused chassi cracking.

Update...........
I tried the old towbar and wasnt happy with the end result
1...toungue sat hard under the step and the tow chain pick up points sat too far under for my liking....
2...the holes i would have had to drill in the sub frame to bolt the reinforcing brackets in properly would have been 20 mm fron the leaf spring pickup point......
Was worth the hour out of my day to find out but now monday will be new towbar day for me...........thx for the input guys

you can save some dollars if you buy a used tow bar from Ebay, one that suits your year model. i bought a very good u8sed Hayman Reece t/ bar from ebay for $150, a new tow bar is around the $500 mark.

Back