3 inch lift front shock length

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just get a set of rancho xl9000 in the front and you'll be sweet, I've got a 2" lift and UCA's and if I fully levelled my car out the bump stops would be touching

Sunny coaster they make the rancho9000 in different strokes do u have a length on yours ?

I got a genuine 3" of lift out of mine and have good clearance to the bump stops, it rides a lot better than brand new stock gear and better than the 2" lift I put in first.
So if the guy is telling you the stock length is ok why does he list shocks for a 3" lift?
I personally would be getting longer ones as the last thing you want is to be bottoming out the shock before hitting the bump stop. The way I see it the arms increase the gap between upper and lower bump stop to get the bigger lift (otherwise you could just use the factory uca's) therefore increasing the travel and the need for a longer shock.

you might of got 3" lift from what height yours was at before you lifted though it might not of been at the stock height (may have been lower).
Either way you cant get any higher with the 3" lift in the front than you can with 2" sus and calmini UCAs, weather it be 1 2 3 or 4" higher than stock its regardless.it still has the same max as 2" with UCAs, and if you think you can name what part does or allows it as maybe im missing something.

what im saying is if you needed longer shocks so would everyone that has 2" suspension with UCAs, I had mine wound up to 12mm gap and no issue with tough dog 2" shock.

My 3" measurement was from the stock height when brand new.
I see what your saying, and your correct, with the new uca's it makes no difference what the ride height is the travel is the same. However the travel with the new uca's is greater than the stock uca's. the point I was making is I have read that some shocks from a 2" lift on the stock arms don't have enough travel when you add the new uca's.

My 3" measurement was from the stock height when brand new.
I see what your saying, and your correct, with the new uca's it makes no difference what the ride height is the travel is the same. However the travel with the new uca's is greater than the stock uca's. the point I was making is I have read that some shocks from a 2" lift on the stock arms don't have enough travel when you add the new uca's.

yea I assume there is slight difference through the yr models allowing less or more height.
yea the calmini ucas allow more travel, otherwise theres no point having them.
Ohh I never heard that before, what brand do you remember? I know for a fact that the tough dog shocks and rancho work fine with 2" and calmini UCAs so if you went with them I know for a fact you would be safe.
I guess some 2" lift kits have the bare min shock length and the better ones like TD give the shock some extra length just in case you need it, so when you get Calmini UCAs and thos kits with bare min shock length wont work but shocks like TD and rancho will work.

so D22NAV for the answer call tough dog ask how long there 2"shock is open then talk to the guy your getting your shocks from and ask if its the same length and boom got your answer

When I did my UCA's i took measurements of down travel. Was surprised to see how much of a difference they made. The down travel increased by 35mm. This is attributed to the improved angle the ball joint offers and the fact that the shocks don't hit the new UCA's like the old ones did.

So here are the numbers , the shocks being supplied are 9 inch compressed & 12.4 extended and mike at 4x4 parts.com assure's me they use all the time with no issues. Calmini have told me there front shocks are 10.25 inch's compressed and 14.25 extended ... Bit off difference will have to wait and see I spose

fark its hard to get an answer lol. tuff dog are 330 long extended...however i dont have ucas to check if they arelng enough. just cause you guys are runing 2" lift shocks and you assume there long enough doent mean they are. a lot of good shocks have and internal bump stop so even if the shock is reaching full extension before the bump stop you wont necesaraly feel it. so can some with the front wound right up near stops with cal ucas get a measurment from centre of wheel to flare then wack a jack under there car and make sure the arm sits on bump stop then measue the shock from centre of bottom eye to the bottom plate that mounts to chassis. this would answer both daves and my question in one go. any takers please

i know for sure (but couldnt remember the measurements) because i checked mine when i put my TD shock in few months ago, Anyway i just had the front end hanging to put in my new TD torsion bars so i measured the shock for you and from the middle of the bottom eyelet of the shock to the exact point its fixed in place on the top bracket is 320mm which leaves you with 10 mm of play left. Im not sure where they measure to for the specs though i would assume its to the little weld washer thing that holds the bushing form sliding down the rod and if thats the case you have more like 25mm of play as the bushing that goes underneath is about 15mm thick.

i would of measured my gaurd to flare though my tyres stick out heaps from the flare and then the hub is a fair way back in my rim so i cant get anywhere near a straight line measurement but i can get a rough one if you like

yeah rough measurement would be great. so your running the cal ucas on your nav yeah? and thanks for the reply

can some with the front wound right up near stops with cal ucas get a measurment from centre of wheel to flare then wack a jack under there car and make sure the arm sits on bump stop then measue the shock from centre of bottom eye to the bottom plate that mounts to chassis. this would answer both daves and my question in one go. any takers please

Hey mate just done MY measurements over a few beers, HOWEVER, my bump stops DO NOT touch when car is jacked up.
So...
Car standing on level ground. From bottom of rim to bottom of flare is 790mm. Bump stop clearence is about 15mm.
Shocks are 350mm from top washer to the bottom eye.
Once again, jacking up the car does not contact bump stops. The wheels get pulled up by the actual shocks.
I know you wanted someone whos bump stops sit on the arm when jacked up, but i thought i'd give you some of my figures just to give you an idea of what size shocks are not long enough.

thanks mate much appreciated that gives us a good refrence point to start from.
with that info you can see that 2" lift shocks wont be long enough. my toughdog 2" front shocks measure 330mm mount to mount. so pretty much im farked lol.

HODGE is that your new shocks? are they still to short or you still have your ome shocks in?

not real relivent but ill post it up anyway. mine sits at 770 from bottom of rim to bottom of flare on standard ucas wound up with less than 10mm bumpstop cleareance

yeah rough measurement would be great. so your running the cal ucas on your nav yeah? and thanks for the reply

yea no worries,will take a look in the morning, Yea I got the cal ucas,had them for a while now so I could get my ute level otherwise my tyres scrub.

hmmmm so going of Hodges measurements I would say it highly depends on the yr and or model of the D22 as his 350mm shocks are clearly not long enough though my Tough Dog shocks still have 10mm to play with as with the cal ucas crushing the upper bump stop they are at 320mm.

So im thinking of a way for you guys without the Calmini ucas to figure out if you what length shock you will need when you get them (if you do at all). If there is someone that has the cal ucas but haven't installed them yet that would be perfect, what we need is someone with both sets of UCAs to hang the front of the ute with stock UCAs and take out the shock, Then measure from the bottom mount to the top mount, Then do the same with the calmini UCAs and that will tell us how many more mm you get with the calmini UCAs, For argument sake lets say 35mm. Once we have that number anyone wanting to get Calmini UCAs can simply hang there front end measure what it is with stock UCAs and add that number and then you will know what you need for the Calmini UCAs, So using 35mm if at stock it measures 310mm then you would need 345mm shock or if yours measured 285mm at stock then you would need 320mm so TD shocks will work.
does that all make sence and can anyone see if that method wouldn't work?

we can get that number from 2 people, one with stock UCAs and one with calmini UCAs but it has to be the exact same model and yr so we know that the only difference is the UCAs them selfs

Last edited:
HODGE is that your new shocks? are they still to short or you still have your ome shocks in?

Yes mate these are the ones that are still short, the original OME ones that were put in, theyre still on the car. i'm getting dicked around by the rancho people with my order with them, as its been more than a month.

not sure how you guys are measuring the shock lengths, but as long as your new shocks aren't shorter than the orignal shocks you should have no problem with shock length and calmini uca's.

i'm pretty certain my front shocks were the same length as the originals.
when i jack the front up, the uca's sit fully on the bump stop's.

not sure how you guys are measuring the shock lengths, but as long as your new shocks aren't shorter than the orignal shocks you should have no problem with shock length and calmini uca's.

i'm pretty certain my front shocks were the same length as the originals.
when i jack the front up, the uca's sit fully on the bump stop's.

Thanks mate , that's the sought of answers I was chasing

Latest posts

Back