newby

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

sugaman

:big_smile:hello guys just got my new st d40 turbo disel dual cab on wednesday just wondering about a few mods i want to do went to purchase a k&n filter today but the 1 listed was wrong guys at autobarn coudnt help me after that has any 1 else had the same problem part number was 33-2080 too big, next i want to put in a chip cant deside between a chip it or dp chip both sound very good and offer the same sort of stuff , next i cant find a 3" exhaust any feed back and advice from people will be very much appreciated.:thank_you2:

:wash_truck:

G'Day, congrats on the new ride. Cant help you with the filter but have a look at Taipan Exhausts if you have the money, they do a top quality 3" system & chips also.

Hi there,

Congrats on the new vehicle.

My advice to you would be to enjoy your new diesel for 10 to 15,000km before modifying it. Let the engine settle in and wear a little before trying to extract any more torque from it.

Do you intend on doing any off-road work? If so, I would suggest avoiding the K&N filter as they are not the most capable filter material on the market....you can virtually see through them.... Have had a K&N in a previous 4wd and had a rather serious case of dust leakage in the inlet tract unfortunately. Have seen other owners suffer similar dust leakage past the K&N filters in dusty country.

In all the 4wd's I have owned, either paper or treated foam have never caused me a problem, however treated foam can be a bitch to clean out in the scrub whereas a spare paper filter or two is easy to carry.... Comes down to personal preference really.

i bought my k&n filter off ebay lols and fits perfect..turbo now whistles louder so it does perform better but really suitable for city driving... if i go bush i use the paper, better protection against dust and water

:big_smile:hello guys just got my new st d40 turbo disel dual cab on wednesday just wondering about a few mods i want to do went to purchase a k&n filter today but the 1 listed was wrong guys at autobarn coudnt help me after that has any 1 else had the same problem part number was 33-2080 too big, next i want to put in a chip cant deside between a chip it or dp chip both sound very good and offer the same sort of stuff , next i cant find a 3" exhaust any feed back and advice from people will be very much appreciated.:thank_you2:

:wash_truck:

You have a Thai built truck, the STX are Spanish built, not too many parts are interchangeable. That includes the air filter and fuel filter to start with.
The Thai build air filters are terrible, Just driving around town you'll find a nice layer of dust on the turbo side of the filter. I know Unifilter make one to fit the ST.

As far as chips go, IMO they are all pretty much the same, I have a $400 dollar one that gives similar results to a DP chip.

Just about any exhaust shop will make you a 3" system, Taipan, Beaudesert, and Eng-tek, have bolt on systems including the dump pipe. But they are very $$. There doesn't seem much benefit in fitting the larger exhaust on the D40. Well in my case it didn't make any difference at all.

Hope that helps.

Hi there,

Congrats on the new vehicle.

My advice to you would be to enjoy your new diesel for 10 to 15,000km before modifying it. Let the engine settle in and wear a little before trying to extract any more torque from it.

Do you intend on doing any off-road work? If so, I would suggest avoiding the K&N filter as they are not the most capable filter material on the market....you can virtually see through them.... Have had a K&N in a previous 4wd and had a rather serious case of dust leakage in the inlet tract unfortunately. Have seen other owners suffer similar dust leakage past the K&N filters in dusty country.

In all the 4wd's I have owned, either paper or treated foam have never caused me a problem, however treated foam can be a bitch to clean out in the scrub whereas a spare paper filter or two is easy to carry.... Comes down to personal preference really.

hey ants,
why would you need to let the engine 'settle' for 10-15k?
whats the advantage of doing this?

cheers

hey ants,
why would you need to let the engine 'settle' for 10-15k?
whats the advantage of doing this?

cheers

Hi there Hutch,

Diesel engines are general renowned for their long lifespan. Treat the engine well early on in it't life and it will return the favour later on in life. Been around 4wd's and diesels long enough to pick up that much...

People talk about blocking EGR valves and such - while I would never encourage anyone to break emissions laws, should such things be legal then reducing the amount of "bad stuff" going into the engine might be a good idea.

But unregulated power increases are not necessarily a good idea early in a diesel engines life - let it settle in first. Get the engine through it's first few oil changes and then start to look at modifications.

The problem with increasing the stock power/torque output is that once you do increase it, you obviously then ask the engine to DELIVER that increased power/torque....otherwise why would you perform the modifications such as chip, exhaust etc?

And when you are pushing fresh engine components hard, they can and do fail.

Now I don't claim to be a guru of all things mechanical - far from it - but my understanding of top end race engine manufacturers for example...they don't just build an engine and release it to fang around the track....the engine is built, run on the dyno at ever increasing outputs to ensure it's stability, and only when it is a proven individual engine, is it released to be used.

Now road vehicle manufacturers don't have those kind of resources - otherwise our everyday cars would cost a lot more than they do...

Anyway, after much ramble, my point is that if you intend on keeping the vehicle for any period of time - what's the rush - wait a few months, settle the mechanicals in a little bit, then start modifying.

It's called being "mechanically kind".

Hi there Hutch,

Diesel engines are general renowned for their long lifespan. Treat the engine well early on in it't life and it will return the favour later on in life. Been around 4wd's and diesels long enough to pick up that much...

People talk about blocking EGR valves and such - while I would never encourage anyone to break emissions laws, should such things be legal then reducing the amount of "bad stuff" going into the engine might be a good idea.

But unregulated power increases are not necessarily a good idea early in a diesel engines life - let it settle in first. Get the engine through it's first few oil changes and then start to look at modifications.

The problem with increasing the stock power/torque output is that once you do increase it, you obviously then ask the engine to DELIVER that increased power/torque....otherwise why would you perform the modifications such as chip, exhaust etc?

And when you are pushing fresh engine components hard, they can and do fail.

Now I don't claim to be a guru of all things mechanical - far from it - but my understanding of top end race engine manufacturers for example...they don't just build an engine and release it to fang around the track....the engine is built, run on the dyno at ever increasing outputs to ensure it's stability, and only when it is a proven individual engine, is it released to be used.

Now road vehicle manufacturers don't have those kind of resources - otherwise our everyday cars would cost a lot more than they do...

Anyway, after much ramble, my point is that if you intend on keeping the vehicle for any period of time - what's the rush - wait a few months, settle the mechanicals in a little bit, then start modifying.

It's called being "mechanically kind".

thanks mate
good info... appreciate the feedback

Back