Engine noises at idle. Injectors, Timing Chain, Belts or Pulleys?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsrfp

Reaction score
Hey guys,

There are several noises coming from my engine bay at idle. I've read hundreds of posts on several forums re. timing chain, injectors, alternator pulleys, turbos etc. Too much that's it's become confusing and I've become paranoid :dontknow:

I've uploaded a video with audio of the engine at idle maybe someone can shed some light before I take it in to be looked at. There's a bit of interference from the fan sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEi_dXUb_a0&feature=youtu.be

I've noticed a whining sound that is at it's loudest around 1300-1400rpm.

I think it's the alternator and injectors but concerned it could be timing chain also.

Anyway if you've got the time to listen to the link, let me know what you think.

Thanks

im no expert but sounds pretty normal to me there is a small click there that may be the clutch on the a/c compressor but its probably just the crappy sound of the vid. just check that idler pulley its probably just the video but it doesn't look like its spinning

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the video sound is pretty dodgy and it's difficult to hear the noises I'm talking about.

I have another vehicle with the same engine with 5000 more ks and a full set of injectors replaced that sounds completely different in that it's a lot quieter.

I can hear a tick, tick sound at the front of the engine that cycles. Seems to be coming from down low.

A squeaking and grinding sound around the alternator that sounds like a bad bearing and a continuous tick/knock from the passenger side of the engine.

I'm going to drop the oil this weekend and take the lower oil pan off to check if there's anything in the strainer.

I can hear a sound at about 52 seconds. Sounds pretty steady and consistant. I think I could only hear it because I had my super sick speakers turned on - AKA headphones, lol. But not sure what the noise is. When I hear something out of whack I get close to where the noise is coming and 'feel' for the noise, generally the noise will make a sort of vibration. Try that??
And yeh, doesnt look like your idler pully is turning.

VB

do the noises go away when the cars warm???mine seems to make a few squicks and stuff when first started. they go away when the engine warms up though..

I use a long screwdriver to use as a stephescope. Obviously you have to be careful around moving parts. Helps narrow down where the sounds are coming from.
I was paraniod about my timing chain but can now be confident its just the usual injecter sound.

May or may not help your case.

sounds like an exhaust leak. would explaine the whining aswell. try getting some gasket goo and applying to the gaskets

Latest posts

Back