ZD30 wont run above idle

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuthanav

Reaction score
Hi all,
D22 with ZD30. Took daughter out for driving lesson. Stalled at an intersection. Country road situation. No engine problems of any type in the long past. Went to re-start. Engine would not start. Tried to fire but wouldn't catch and run. Towed home. Checked fuel filter, air filter, primed the fuel pump, checked electrical connections around engine, did a re-set of ECU by disconnecting neg Battery terminal. Engine now starts and will rev to 1000 where a slight rough running is detected. At 1100 rpm starts to sound like miss fire and whip cracking /pre ignition type of sound is heard. Engine is very healthy, although high kilo's. Recent service. First thoughts are fuel pump drive problem/timing problem, eg. broken fuel pump drive shaft key. Anyone got an idea?
Nuthanav

Just had the Nav looked at. Error codes came up for fuel pump Comms, ie Code 73. Not at all surprised.
Looks like a new pump. After 478K klms I'm not disappointed. Who said these pumps are no good? This
is the first significant repair to this engine. The rest of the engine is untouched from new.
Nuthanav

Hi Nutha, I’ve had the same code and I am waiting for it to come up again. In my case the fuel pump and engine had been rebuilt. First the pump went so got an exchange pump from some mob in South Aus. Then I had a radiator go on me which cracked the head. Took head off to find piston one and four had a lot of play/movement so decided to recon engine. After all that my Nav was running awesome.... for a little while. Nek minute, after 40000klm engine light suddenly started to flash. If I turned the engine off, waited 5 minutes and re-started, no engine light. This happened for two days until eventually the engine light would be flashing all the time, even with just ignition lights on (motor not running). Took back to mechanic who ran heaps of tests and could not find anything wrong with pump but still code 0703 fuel pump comms continued. Took pump off and sent back to S.A. Pump passed test twice but luckily fella at pump shop decided to change out the electronic component on top of pump. This fixed the problem. After pump was put back on, no more code. But wait, there’s more..... After only around 5000klm the mongrel 0703 code came back! Back to mechanic. After 3 months of not being able to find what is wrong with the vehicle after going through every possible test including tracing the wires through the harness, mechanic decided to swap out ECU. This fixed the problem. I have done around 12000klm since the ECU swap.
I have a constant bad feeling that it’s not the last time this will happen. 😩

Latest posts

Back