ZD30 Turbo Upgrade

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Running more boost without adding more fuels fine on a diesel, leaner means lower EGT's.

What Garrett Turbo are you running bud?

Its a taiwanese gtx2554r https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&...Nwd-d87--zkTzXOTgBtktg&bvm=bv.122129774,d.dGY

Not much cheaper than a genuine gt2554r but has GTX aero and a smaller Turbine A/R than garrett offer on that turbo. If it ever decides to take an RDO I'll probably get a genuine one or a gt2560r to make up for the lack of GTX option in that size. It should bolt straight in since iv done all the hard work already.

Well, ive chucked the boost ontroller in and tweaked it so it doesnt go much over 18psi, and dialled the chip up all the way then backed it of a gnats pube.

Egts are lower than stock (i think) Power and torque is very good.

It didnt really improve boost response. Need to wring it out to 4000 to get 18.
The overall impression is that the turbo is slightly oversize for the engine.

That said, its making boost off idle and she's really singing at 2000 by which time its probably around 10-12psi. But like iv said, its actually got more mumbo off boost, off idle than before, probably because of the much less restrictive - RESTRICTIVE!!! turbine housing and bigger exhaust wheel that the engine can actually breath instead of having to live solely off its own farts and back pressure.

Been noticing a bit of smoke at the start of each gear, but only at night when i have bright headlights behind me.

I guess it means its a bit rich at low rpm loads which is good, also got quite an exhaust note at the low rpm/ high load conditions. Im thinking i should put a cat back in, which should hopefully help both issues.

Toying with the idea of putting a full 3" system in. Currently running custom split 3" dump into a redback 2.5" system.

Fueling will be you biggest issue. from memory the ZD ecu likes to cut fuel when boost hits a certain level. 19:1 or 18:1 will be safe AFR's. I run the innovate motorsports AFR gauge although I'm yet to get it to work on a diesel

What issues you having with the innovate mate?

I'm not sure if I have the probe deep enough into the exhaust pipe. I think with the compound system I'm running is that lean I'm only seeing <22:1 AFR's under full fuelling. Mind you the AFR gauge is on the navigators side, I'm too busy driving the car to look across at it

Picked up some goodies from nearby exhaust shop. Its a 3" cat delete system sans dump pipe plus cat and some stuff to join up to my homemade dump including a cat. They forgot one flange though - sigh. Ill have to swing past again and get it some other time. Quality looks nice. Who knows what fitment will be like. Fun time activities for next rain day.

Attachments

• n 009.jpg
    n 009.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 106
Ok little bit of an update - finally got around to measuring the stock exhaust wheel the other day, its about 37/44mm (new turbo is about 42/54) which had i known would have influenced my turbo selection.
So the gt2554r is still going good 4 or 5 tanks later, power is great, as iv mentioned off boost and off idle response is much better, i think maybe due to less exhaust manifold pressure although i havent measured it.
BUT, it doesnt really want to go over 10-11psi before 2500rpm, which i could live with as it still goes nice but im toying with the idea of swapping in one of these - http://shop.mambatek.com/GTX-Billet...25-Hsg-1318L-250HP-001-0150.htm?categoryId=-1

Slightly bigger compressor than the gt2554r but smaller exhaust wheel - somewhere in between the gt and stock. Loses the BB but i dont think BB makes any difference on turbos this small - when they spool they spool. Slightly smaller turbine A/R too - 00.1 which probably wouldnt make much difference either.

Sigh not sure not sure. If it all bolts up with relatively little redesigning everything it might be worth it, sell the old turbo off to someone with a silvia or mx5..

I'd look at getting your chip reprogrammed. I had my tunit redone at an opposite lock dealer for $40 years ago, no dyno just told them I wanted more fuel down low. Went off the butt dyno and exhaust temps.

Cheers rumpig. Its pretty much just a resistor box though - not sure if it can be reprogrammed? Not running an AFR gauge, but it did seem to tip fuel in down low - on the stock turbo big torque came on like a light switch at around 2000 or 2200 and then tapered off as the turbo choked out.

Now its very linear, nice torque down low, that builds all the way up and power increases all the way to the top, alongside the boost pressure. Its not getting to max boost straight away and staying there, it builds steadily from idle to the top.

Something like 5-6 at 1500, 9-11 at 2000 12-13ish at 2500 14-15 at 2700 (although its a bit hard to be accurate with this as digital gauges in motion are hard to read at the best of times, especially when they are mounted down next to your knee, lol) and onwards to wherever iv se the max boost.

The real power only starts after 2600-2700 but thats only really noticeable in 5th gear. Pulls hardest after 100kmh.

Im hoping that a bit more fuel will tip the balance too, still waiting on a couple fittings before i do the lift pump install, hopefully that makes a difference.

Another idea i might try after that is to fit the MAP sensor directly to the compressr housing, try and trick the ecu into giving it more fuel. Do you think that would work?

Last edited:
Moving the MAP to the compressor housing might make a difference as it would see boost sooner but it probably reads 2 psi higher there so will give less boost overall. If your chip has the dial to turn it up and down it sounds the same as tunit and DP so will be reprogrammable. It's just a 2 dimensional map. TPS voltage on the bottom and how much extra to hold the spill valve open on the vertical axis.

Cheers mate. Ended up moving the map and the boost gauge sender to the compressor last night, and like you predicted actually saw less boost which blows my mind, as i expected to be seeing higher boost on the gauge and higher egt's.
Ended up on 14. something psi which is spring pressure so thought it was the boost controller and dialled it back up to 16ish.
Did seem to have snappier response though but that could be placebo effect.
Why does it get less boost like that?
Might switch it back. Will look into getting the "chip" reprogrammed, will ring around but not to hopefull as its an english chip and i havent seen it advertised in Aus.
Sent Mr Takada-san from Mambatek an email in regard to that td04 i mentioned a couple posts up. He says its a different turbine outlet so i'd need to make a new dump pipe, (which is a bastard on these - cant get the torch in there to tack!!) but it comes with a 5cm turbine housing as an option that he hasn't listed yet which would be good.

My gut feeling is the turbine wheel on my turbo is just a tad too big for this application. about 10mm bigger than stock which is like - quick calculation on phone - 1.5x the size in area, and therefore flow and spool?

It's not just the wheel size, the A/R ratio determines spool up speed as well. See if they make a smaller A/R rear housing for the turbo you've already got. If it's 0.64 see if they have something like 0.53. Putting the MAP at the compressor housing it will see boost earlier, so add fuel quicker, but the pressure drop across the intercooler will be like 2 psi, so the ecu will stop fuelling to keep boost at 15 psi which will only be 13 psi after the intercooler.

The a/r is (supposedly) .42, or 6cm i asked him if they do a smaller housing for it but didnt get a reply which i am taking for a "No" and a "shut up and buy the TD04.

Didn't realise the ecu was retarding fuel. It seems to boost up to where ever i set it, but only way up the other end of the tacho.

Last edited:
Ok so got the car back yesty after driving a current model d-max auto (very nice) and have to say its an absolute pleasure to be in the nav again. Although this turbo doesnt make as much boost early in the rev range as i'd like, it still drives great and has plenty of torque - just need to resist the urge to wind it out all the time because it really wants to!

Replaced my auber egt guage with a new one. Back when i got it they were transitioning from one that needed a bridge soldered into it and one that didnt - so i soldered mine and its always read low - i just went off percentages of what it was reading stock.
So anyway, with chip on max 17-18psi and the new gauge its getting 450c with spirited driving and really have to try hard to get it over 500 although thats with empty tray. Towing would be another story.

Will drive around on 20-22 psi for a bit and keep an eye on temps. See if we can throw a bit more fuel in down low to get the turbo singing a bit more low down.

Can anyone with a zd30 tell me when they are getting to say, 14-15psi boost? Mine gets there around 2500rpm. I ant remember when it got there with the stock turbo.

Im hovering over the button to get the td04 i mentioned a few posts back. Its got a smaller hot side than what i've got (both wheel and housing) and a smaller compressor trim (for similar size inducer) which is also supposed o help spool. It missses out on the ball bearing though. Kinda half and half on doing it - it really does drive well with the gt2554r and rumpig tune - in fact i think its getting better with a bit of carbon build up in the t-housing - but looking at the boost gauge there is room for more down low.

Latest posts

Back