Zd30 new Turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xenith

Reaction score
Gidday all,
Turbo on my zd30 is running a bit crap.
Has anyone put a bigger turbo on?
Any recommendations on a bigger one or just straight replace?
Cheers

Gidday all,
Turbo on my zd30 is running a bit crap.
Has anyone put a bigger turbo on?
Any recommendations on a bigger one or just straight replace?
Cheers

how do you know the turbo is the problem?

the biggest issue is usually the fueling side of things.
unless its chipped and intercooled a high flow turbo won't do anything, and could actually be worse performance.

If you put a bigger turbo n, will the wastegate just start to dump the extra air a bit earlier? What is a bigger turbo boing to achieve.
it dumps the exhaust not the air.
the whole point is to run higher boost.

a bigger turbo on stock engine actually takes longer to get up to full boost, especially as the stock zd30 is well under fueled in the low rpm range. which is why the stock zd30 doesn't get full boost untill 3000 rpm anyway (by memory, its been a while). also extra boost on its own doesn't make more power. you hae to add boost + fuel.
but with exhaust, intercooler and especially chipped, its a different ball game. now a bigger turbo can actually be used.

with a stock engine, the only advantage of a modded turbo is to increase its efficiency. its not usually a big gain but it can mean boost up earlier, little bit of power increase. however whats the odds the company has spent the time and money to actually match it to the engine. or do they just change the wheels and claim its "better". there has been some after market turbo's that have been worse than the original.

Mean, cheers for the info.
I won't waste my money then.
Can i diy increase fuel flow?

not really.
its either replace the chips in the ecu or get a piggy back type "chip" unit.
no idea whats available.
also i highly recommend intercooling.

Sweet, cheers.
Yea I've got a front mount for her, sorting out tubing next weekend. It's not cheap over here.

The forefront turbo does seem to boost earlier and make a slight but noticeable difference to performance. Certainly seems a lot more efficient than the Hitachi and afaik was specifically designed for the zd30 by a D22 owner. As to longevity, not sure, but the standard (way overpriced) Hitachi turbo is certainly nothing special.

Latest posts

Back