ZD30 Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lachy1122345

Reaction score
Hey guys im looking to get a intercooler but don't want to spend a fortune I was wondering can I fit a intercooler on my zd30 off of a patrol or off of a d22 2.5l or is there anything cheap and decent or can i take one off of another car and chuck it on?

Tough job on a budget. Forefront make a good front mount unit that you can find on here or their website. Not enough room for a top mount like the Patrol or YD25 unless you have a body lift. Someone on here did a nice job, maybe Ben85? I will have a look

Any intercooler will do the job. It's non-mechanical, it only has to sit in the airstream. "Charge air" moves through the thing and as cooler ambient air passes over the cores, the charge air is cooled. It's that simple. In fact, you can hook them up backwards and as long as the ambient air can pass through the cores, it will still work.

Make sure that your pipework is up to scratch. Non-expanding hoses should be chosen to prevent ballooning (equals lag), and you can't use hard pipe everywhere or when the engine wobbles it'll tear it all up. Good clamps that won't pinch the hose are needed, and a lip on the end of the pipe so that the hose just can't slip off is valuable. Depends on the boost level you're getting though - 8-10psi isn't a drama, but 20+ and your hoses will pop off the pipes.

Probably the hardest thing is finding where to mount it. I had heard of someone using an intercooler off a XR6 Turbo, which provided good results. Shouldn't cost too much at a wrecker.

Tough job on a budget. Forefront make a good front mount unit that you can find on here or their website. Not enough room for a top mount like the Patrol or YD25 unless you have a body lift. Someone on here did a nice job, maybe Ben85? I will have a look
yeah have 2 inch body well atleast im pretty sure i do it was already on the car when i bought it

h
Any intercooler will do the job. It's non-mechanical, it only has to sit in the airstream. "Charge air" moves through the thing and as cooler ambient air passes over the cores, the charge air is cooled. It's that simple. In fact, you can hook them up backwards and as long as the ambient air can pass through the cores, it will still work.

Make sure that your pipework is up to scratch. Non-expanding hoses should be chosen to prevent ballooning (equals lag), and you can't use hard pipe everywhere or when the engine wobbles it'll tear it all up. Good clamps that won't pinch the hose are needed, and a lip on the end of the pipe so that the hose just can't slip off is valuable. Depends on the boost level you're getting though - 8-10psi isn't a drama, but 20+ and your hoses will pop off the pipes.

Probably the hardest thing is finding where to mount it. I had heard of someone using an intercooler off a XR6 Turbo, which provided good results. Shouldn't cost too much at a wrecker.
Yeah i read the post about the Xr6, so pretty much just can grab one from wreckers and just find a spot to hook it up to whats better front or top and is water an issue if it goes into it if its on the front

Jump on facebook ... this thing has it all and that I.C is danmmm cheap...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210625-210312_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210625-210312_Facebook.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 60
h

Yeah i read the post about the Xr6, so pretty much just can grab one from wreckers and just find a spot to hook it up to whats better front or top and is water an issue if it goes into it if its on the front

Water isn't an issue at all, in fact people add misting systems to put water onto the outside surface of the intercooler - it really does improve its performance (better thermal transfer).

The pressurised air coming out of the turbocharger is quite hot (200 to 250 degrees Celcius). It gets pumped through the intercooler passing through the inside of the cores and out into the intake manifold. Cooling it greatly increases its density (more oxygen molecules per volume) which allows the fuel to have more air to burn in = better combustion. At no time does this pressurised air get exposed to the outside of the intercooler unless there's a problem.

Once you fit an intercooler, be aware that the intercooler - while it's a bonus to have - will need regular removal and cleaning to remove the oil from it. Oil vapour comes out with blow-by gases through the PCV on the motor and enters the air intake just before the turbocharger's intake. When this oil vapour reaches the intercooler, it condenses and sticks to the inside. Some of this oil vapour still passes through to the motor (it's designed to allow for this) but you'll have to clean out the intercooler of the stuff that gets caught.

A catch can will reduce this, but not prevent it completely.

G’day guys. Just wondering if anyone can pass on any wisdom/pointers regarding the installation of the Plazmaman intercooler kit for the ZD30? I’ve just bought one but there aren’t any instructions. None available from Plazmaman either as the kit is too old, apparently. It’s a great looking kit but fittting with the OEM Nissan bull bar is going to require some unwanted cutting unfortunately. Found another thread in here that references it but that thread has gone quiet. Appreciate any suggestions before I delve into the project.

Latest posts

Back