ZD30 engine caked in oil

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richNAV

Reaction score
Hey folks,

So I’m about to start work on my buddies Ute this week it’s got a pretty bad oil leak suspected rear main or dipstick o-ring rubber (and read the sump seal can also be a source of leaks) so I thought I’d start with a thorough clean.

Now before I get liberal with the de-greaser and gurney has anyone done this and can give any tips. It’s mainly the back of the motor but I want to avoid soaking any electrics or disturbing any sensors etc I also wonder about the ‘engine clean’ option at the hand car wash booths if that’s worth a shot...

Ta,
Rich

I wouldn't use a gurney in the engine bay. Shouldn't be necessary. Removing the bash plate helps and just go over everywhere you can with degreaser, then rinse off. No need to worry about getting electrical connections wet, at least I haven't ever had a problem this way. If the rear main is gone there'll be plenty of oil along the gearbox also.

ps. Good idea to take it for a run after degreasing to warm it up and dry it, then have another gander. It'll probably take a few goes to get it clean.

Just to make that point extra clear - getting an electrical connection wet is NOT a problem. Blasting it with a pressure washer so that the dirt gets pushed INTO the connector IS a problem.

As @Horatius says, degreaser, let it sit briefly, gentle hose off and repeat until clean.

Awesome thanks fellas was going to be a nightmare handling the gurney on my back under the truck anyway! I’ll give it several goes with the degreaser and cold water hose 👍🏼 Is there anything I can’t spray with degreaser?

Hi Rich sounds like your on the right track... best way to find an oil leak is to give everything a good clean, good suggestion to remove any bash plates ect clean under your ute also ... all This helps to find leaks and makes repairs so much easier and much more enjoyable. good luck, have fun :)

Without sounding stupid do all 3 have breathers? What should I look out for? Ta, Rich

Let's go over each of 'em.

The sump: yes, it's proper name is "PCV" (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) and it should be a hose that feeds directly into the air intake just in front of the turbocharger if it has one, otherwise it may be plumbed directly to the intake manifold. If this has been removed and fed directly to the ground under the car, you don't want to spray anything into it.

The gearbox and diffs: I'm not sure on the ZD30, but if they're there, it'll be a rubber hose that runs from the upper section of each (because normally they're only around half full of oil, the other half is air) up into the engine bay.

I think I have the same problem it's leaking from top down in to the rear of engine but I'm not losing that much oil.il park up few days later a few drops show but bottom end of engine is caked in oil weird cheers eny info on that

It's possibly a cracked SCV, or the clamp holding it isn't doing the job properly. Take a look at the connection on the top of the rear of the rocker cover - the one with the hose that runs to the intake. Give it a bit of a clean and see if any new (black) oil appears there.

It's possibly a cracked SCV, or the clamp holding it isn't doing the job properly. Take a look at the connection on the top of the rear of the rocker cover - the one with the hose that runs to the intake. Give it a bit of a clean and see if any new (black) oil appears there.
Hey Cool I will look into that because it's seems like it's coming from a hose I thought enyway thanks will keep u updated

Back