Z20 engine in my d21

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonno007

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post so go easy on me ok. I just bought a 1991 navara D21 with a Z20 engine. I noticed it has 2 spark plugs per cylinder but only one plug connected to the distributer. I googled it and yes it is twin spark but when I go to buy new leads that will connect both plugs to the distributer they only have 4 leads with 4 plugs?? the guy I bought the ute from said it used to be a fuel injected engine converted to carby, the other plugs are there just to fill the hole. I don't believe him. You got any ideas fellas?

Jonno:cheers!:

I call bullshit on that one. Not sure about where the twin spark Z20 came from, might be a replacement engine from an JDM import. You can try buying the Z24 twin spark leads for a Pathfinder from a auto parts store, they should solve your problem?

I dunno I suppose it could be a efi motor converted. Buth they have notches in the intake ports for the injectors.

US spec WD21 Pathfinders ran the single point injected Z24, dual spark motor.

Its probably a JDM engine as Dion said. JDM later model D22's got the KA20DE motor that was never brought out to Australia.

Dave.

Yeah I have heard of the NA20, I didn't think Australia got them though.

Its an imported engine.

I am pretty sure the D22 service manual on here has info on it in the D22 section.

Dave.

According to Redbook, the 91 Navara did come wit the Z20 as an option.
Does the distributor have 8 spark plug points or 4?

I remember a mates step dad had a Z20 powered 2wd D21.

Cant remember if it was twin spark though.

Dave.

According to Redbook, the 91 Navara did come wit the Z20 as an option.
Does the distributor have 8 spark plug points or 4?

well thats what is spinning me out. it only has 4 plug points on the distributor? Its def a twin spark but must have the wrong distributor. While I have you guys attention... any idea if theres a power steering unit that will fit onto it?
:cheers!:

well thats what is spinning me out. it only has 4 plug points on the distributor? Its def a twin spark but must have the wrong distributor. While I have you guys attention... any idea if theres a power steering unit that will fit onto it?
:cheers!:
There's lots of Z20 Navaras on fleaBay, they look to be single spark though. It's definitely not a converted EFI as the injector ports would be in the manifold, not the cylinder head. I'd say it's an imported Z20 twin spark possibly minus distributor, and it's been slung into your engine bay and the original distributor hooked up. Does the complete engine number on the engine match the number on the data plate and the number on your rego sticker?

You can use the twin spark distributor from the Z24 Pathfinder to restore yours to a twin spark, it will bolt up. Might pay to replace all the spark plugs when you do that too.

Yes, the OEM power steering from the Z24 will all bolt on, go and visit some wreckers. Ronnie has had this done.

Last edited:
There's lots of Z20 Navaras on fleaBay, they look to be single spark though. It's definitely not a converted EFI as the injector ports would be in the manifold, not the cylinder head. I'd say it's an imported Z20 twin spark possibly minus distributor, and it's been slung into your engine bay and the original distributor hooked up. Does the complete engine number on the engine match the number on the data plate and the number on your rego sticker?

You can use the twin spark distributor from the Z24 Pathfinder to restore yours to a twin spark, it will bolt up. Might pay to replace all the spark plugs when you do that too.

Yes, the OEM power steering from the Z24 will all bolt on, go and visit some wreckers. Ronnie has had this done.

Sure did and it was worth every cent, can actually park the beast now! also put the weber carb on , on saturday cant believe how much of a difference it has made! revs like crazy now and actually accellerates up steep hills! well worth the money on both counts. :rock:

Thanks heaps guys. Will leave it 4 spark for now. Which Weber carby did you use Ronnie?

was one from recarb australia, just google recarb, they do a good range of weber carbs with conversion kits. The guy at the carby place i took it to seemed to think it was used on the older falcons:)

All Z20's were 1 plug per cylinder and only the Pathfinder with the Z24S engine had 2 plugs per cylinder.

I wonder if someone has replaced the head on the Z20 with a Z24 Pathfinder head?

According the the manuals I have no Navara in Australia got the 4 plug head, only the Pathfinder got it.
The reason?
Because the Pathfinder in Australia was classified as a passenger car and as a result had to comply with stricter anti pollution laws that the Z24 could not meet with only 1 plug per cylinder.

Navara's didn't need to comply due to them being classified as a light truck.

Latest posts

Back