YD25 Euro 5 Bellhousings are a different shape?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kzin

Reaction score
HI, I have what I think is a Euro 5 yd25 block, it is a different shape to the earlier motor at the back where the bell housing attaches.

Are the transmissions the same? and do you think the bell housings are interchangeable.

I can't be sure, but thought I'd better at least bump up your question.

There were different gearboxes used between some of the models after mine (about 2011 onwards). Some still used the RE5R05A (like mine) and some went to the RE7 gearbox, a 7-speed auto that was (I think) used in the 370Z. I'm not sure if some of the YD25 variants also used this box. They then changed to an 8-speed box (thinking the bi-turbo model here, but I'm not certain).

I'd imagine there may have been differences in the manual boxes as well, to accommodate the change in the autos.

Thank you for the reply. After exhaustive googling, I've come to the same conclusions. There are no(or very few) euro 5 navaras in NZ, so I cannot even look at one to check.

My next option is to modify my existing bellhousing.

I need to find a Transmission spacer for the Euro 5 engine, or even just a full size scan/CAD drawing of it. And work out the proper grade of Aluminum for a partial adaptor ( there are only three bolt holes & one pin that need to be adjusted). I'm thinking of welding in a new section, then drilling the new holes.

I can't be sure, but thought I'd better at least bump up your question.

There were different gearboxes used between some of the models after mine (about 2011 onwards). Some still used the RE5R05A (like mine) and some went to the RE7 gearbox, a 7-speed auto that was (I think) used in the 370Z. I'm not sure if some of the YD25 variants also used this box. They then changed to an 8-speed box (thinking the bi-turbo model here, but I'm not certain).

I'd imagine there may have been differences in the manual boxes as well, to accommodate the change in the autos.
didn't the v6 get an extra gear also?

didn't the v6 get an extra gear also?

The STX550 released in 2011 was "blessed" with an RE7 box, which was a 7 speed auto, as opposed to the 5-speed RE5 that we have in ours. It actually had a failing in that if you engaged 4LO, the gearbox would shift out of manual mode and would kick up a gear even though manually held in first. A user here (@raptorthumper ) cleverly worked around this by manually changing into 4LO and the gearbox obeyed the manual gear selection command.

I'm not sure where the actual fault lay, because I don't think my own TCM has any idea if the car's in 2HI or 4LO (I do sometimes wish for 2LO as well, but unfortunately that's not possible without removing the front propeller shaft). It's possible that the RE7 box doesn't know about the transfer case either (because the box was designed for the 370Z) and it's the ECU mistakenly sending the command to disengage manual mode when the selector is put in 4LO. We absolutely know this is the actual problem because of @raptorthumper 's investigation and clever solution. We just don't know why this command is sent to the gearbox and probably never will.

I'm not aware of any other gearboxes (than the RE5 and RE7) used in the D40 series cars. The 8 speed boxes were all D23 (NP300) boxes, as far as I'm aware.

The picture below, found at link: NISSAN NAVARA D40 4WD 25 YD25 DIESEL AUTO TRANSMI | Trade Me Motors
Is the bolt pattern I need Note the locating Pin holes (Marked with arrows) and the circled bolt holes are different to most other RE5 boxes like mine. it also does not have the hollow locating pin. there are other differences in the Transmission casting as well. I have asked the seller to tell me what the info on the aluminum tag says.
Euro 5 box.jpg

This image shows a box with bolt pattern like mine, but the 4WD version.

1617569832845.png

I Note that the Crank angle sensor holes on the above, are in slightly different places. so would that preclude swapping bellhousings? as the timing would be out?

I Have also found that Transmissions with the bolt pattern in the top picture can have Model# 94X6E or 3HX8C on them. Not sure what the difference is, but the 3HX8C is a 5 speed.

Latest posts

Back