Wiring in Spotlights

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FennDA

Reaction score
Greeting to All,

I am a new member , so this is kinda new to me, I have a Nissan Rx, and was querying just what it would take to wire in some new Spotlights, Do it your self with a bit of savvy or have it done by Pro's ??

Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

It's a fairly easy job, you don't have to be an electronic nut, but it does pay to have a decent understanding of what you are doing and what could go wrong. I'm sure there is a number of threads with wiring diagrams for both D22 and D40 models which might be of help. I'm not sure if they are titled well enough to appear in a search but try an "advanced search" for something like "driving light install" or something similar.

Hey mate hear is a wiring diagram that I made to help people wire them up themselves.
This is how I always wire cars with a h4 globe as it will work with either + or - switching.

spottiwiring-1.jpg

Last edited:
Can honestly say have never seen lights wired that way.
Seems very complicated when all you need is a 12v+ feed from the high beam side of the headlight to drive the relay .
If not mistaken it would mean the relay is in series with the headlight filament so if you blew a globe you have no lights

something like this
drvlites.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a wiring loom. That plugs into the back of the headlight and the headlight plugs into that. Cost about 100bucks tho.

Hey mate hear is a wiring diagram that I made to help people wire them up themselves.
This is how I always wire cars with a h4 globe as it will work with either + or - switching.

spottiwiring-1.jpg

if you really want to do it similar to that, i'd put pin 85 to ground, the feed from the headlight to the switch and the other side of the switch to pin 86. that way you are only tapping into 1 wire at the headlight and you have a lot less to go wrong...

also, you may need to note on there that modern 5 pin relays have a pin 87 and 87a, these are separate pins, so you need to tee pin 87 to 2 wires otherwise one spotlight will be on when the switch is on and the other one when the high beams are on, but not both together

All good points..

First off, this is what I do for a living. Some cars switch negative and some positive. So if you wire it like this then no matter what way it switches it works. It is a lot simpler then you think as there is a lot less time running tying to figure out what switching a car has.

It isnt on series with the filament but parallel. If the filament blows or the plug falls off the back the spotties will still work.

And last the relay running an 87a pin is a change over relay. Not exactly a modern relay but yeh it will do pretty much what you said if you wire one of them in, except one light will be on all the time and the other will come on with high beam while the original one goes out. My personal preference is a narva 40amp relay with 2 87 pins. That way each spotlight has its own pin.

G'day tintop,
I don't want to start an argument here, but I'm an electrician and your circuit diagram shows the relay coil is in fact in series with the headlight. Thus if the headlight globe is blown then your spotties won't work either.
Cheers
Jase.

G'day tintop,
I don't want to start an argument here, but I'm an electrician and your circuit diagram shows the relay coil is in fact in series with the headlight. Thus if the headlight globe is blown then your spotties won't work either.
Cheers
Jase.

I think, and may be wrong, but being "rear view" he is saying come from there on the rear, which would mean it is in parrallel? I.e headlight wire goes into rear of plug from car, so tee off at the rear of the plug for what he has drawn??

ahh i dunno, all this is drawn way confusing.

here is what i use:

Attachments

• spotwire.jpg
    spotwire.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 6,856
I correct myself, and apologise - I looked at it properly and see that you haven't included the original headlight "wiring" in the diagram - this is where the parallel connection is made. Sorry - my bad.

spottiwiring-1.jpg
Hi Tintop, thanks for the simple diagram, it has worked a treat and I now have working spotlights.
Keatsy

Latest posts

Back