Winch advice

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavand

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope I've posted this in the right place, I'm looking for advice before purchasing a winch for a D40 with an ARB deluxe bar. Any advice would be great. Thanks Gav

There are a few winches to consider. Warne have the best name, but Aldi's Auto XS work just fine. I wouldn't ignore Rydge Ryder (Supercheap Auto) either. The larger question would be 9,000lb or 12,000lb - horizontally, you aren't moving anywhere near that much weight anyway, so it's a matter of cost more than anything. A 9,000lb winch (4 tonnes) is more than enough for your car, but it's logical that a 12,000lb winch (5.4T) has a motor which won't work as hard.

If they have a wireless remote, be aware that there's often a lag in response so if you're trying to make small, fine movements with the winch, you're far better off hooking up the wired control.

Thanks Tony, think I might save up and go with th 12 so it's not working as hard. I was curious what the weight difference between a good Warn 12,000 and a Rydge Ryder is as well.

My camping trip was quiet and simple, nothing major like we're doing in August (going to The Bend Motorsport Park in SA).

The winches are quite different. Warn have reduced the weight in their unit by using an aluminium drum and synthetic rope and it's down to 36kg (shipping weight, which would include the box, the fairlead and the controls and cabling).

The Rydge Ryder on the other hand is only 24kg claimed on SCA's website, also using synthetic rope.

There's nothing wrong with synthetic rope, you just have to make sure the sand/dirt is washed out of it before you do a heavy pull. The wire rope is horrid stuff because when a strand breaks, it always finds a way to jag something like clothing - you should NEVER use a winch without leather gloves. Rigging gloves are ok, welding gloves if you're really concerned. Also use a dampening blanket (might not come with the winch!) to help reduce the speed of the wire returning to your vehicle when the mount on their vehicle breaks.

For a test on dampening blankets:

For lessons about basic recovery techniques and the gear needed:

Latest posts

Back