Where to buy a good axe?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldManBeard

Reaction score
Who can tell me where to buy a good axe in Vic, preferably with either a hickory, spotted gum or fibreglass handle? I don't expect anything like a racing axe but I am after one that can be sharpened to an effective edge that will actually cut wood and keep that edge for more than a chop or two. All the ones I've come across at Bunnings and other hardware stores are made of rubbish steel. Even if you can get them sharp, they won't hold an edge.

I bought a Fiskars X27 axe (from Bunnings) and can't rate it highly enough. Chops into wood like nothing I've ever had before. Obviously not as effective as my Stihl but needs less fuel and is a fair bit quieter.

It's also got a decent amount of weight. When I take a good swing at a section I've cut from a log, it usually only needs the one hit to cut through.

Who can tell me where to buy a good axe in Vic, preferably with either a hickory, spotted gum or fibreglass handle? I don't expect anything like a racing axe but I am after one that can be sharpened to an effective edge that will actually cut wood and keep that edge for more than a chop or two. All the ones I've come across at Bunnings and other hardware stores are made of rubbish steel. Even if you can get them sharp, they won't hold an edge.
Checkout Evil Bay. You might even pick up a piece of history. Plumb Kelly Hytest Keesteel. Easy to fit your own handle if you have a vice drill and rasp. Don't hurry. Plus I fill them the head with epoxy when finished. Cheers.

Checkout Evil Bay. You might even pick up a piece of history. Plumb Kelly Hytest Keesteel. Easy to fit your own handle if you have a vice drill and rasp. Don't hurry. Plus I fill them the head with epoxy when finished. Cheers.
Thanks for that and I'll have a look there if I can't find one in a physical store. An axe is the kind of thing I like to feel in my hands before buying them. I've been very disappointed in the past with hammers I've bought online, even when they were a well known and reputable make and model.

Howdy bloke, I'll have to check this with my mate when he returns my text ;) but RC Trading in Warragul does a hand crafted brand.... nice grear indeed... have a look at the gear they sell, my mate and I rave about it.. from small belt wearing gear to log splitters!
mate, once you see how nice these tools are you won't want to use them :)

As for a log splitter, just grab the old type and weld a piece of right angle to the head so it to saves the handle... best trick yet if your splitting heaps of wood...

Howdy bloke, I'll have to check this with my mate when he returns my text ;) but RC Trading in Warragul does a hand crafted brand.... nice grear indeed... have a look at the gear they sell, my mate and I rave about it.. from small belt wearing gear to log splitters!
mate, once you see how nice these tools are you won't want to use them :)

As for a log splitter, just grab the old type and weld a piece of right angle to the head so it to saves the handle... best trick yet if your splitting heaps of wood...
Ah yes, I do love hand-crafted tools. There's a bloke at the local blacksmithing group who makes some of the best edged tools I've ever seen. Beautiful to look at and totally functional, with tool-steel edges. The only reason I don't get one of those is the price, which I simply can't justify for the amount I'll use it. I'd have a go at forging my own but my arthritis prevents me from doing any heavy blacksmithing these days.

If I happen to be down that way I'll have a look at RC trading, although I don't expect to be heading there in the near future.

Just for clarity, I'm after a chopping axe, not a splitter.

Ah yes, I do love hand-crafted tools. There's a bloke at the local blacksmithing group who makes some of the best edged tools I've ever seen. Beautiful to look at and totally functional, with tool-steel edges. The only reason I don't get one of those is the price, which I simply can't justify for the amount I'll use it. I'd have a go at forging my own but my arthritis prevents me from doing any heavy blacksmithing these days.

If I happen to be down that way I'll have a look at RC trading, although I don't expect to be heading there in the near future.

Just for clarity, I'm after a chopping axe, not a splitter.
Oh yes, I got that! Depending on how good you are with your swing you can weld a piece of angle to your axe too;)
Lol, yeah the anvil has the tendency to rattle the bones :) although with presses now days it makes it far easier eh

For some reason I had it in my head you needed a camping kit, derrr! :) I don't travel with an axe, small chainsaw or the hand chain saw and a splitter.. I find it's a lot easier to use the hand chain saw than the axe, less energy used !

I'm pretty sure it's RC Trading in Warragul, where are you? They may deliver or they may have an outlet near you!
Bruks is the name of them and they are from Sweden, surely there's someone in Au making them??
All the best...

Oh yes, I got that! Depending on how good you are with your swing you can weld a piece of angle to your axe too;)
Lol, yeah the anvil has the tendency to rattle the bones :) although with presses now days it makes it far easier eh

For some reason I had it in my head you needed a camping kit, derrr! :) I don't travel with an axe, small chainsaw or the hand chain saw and a splitter.. I find it's a lot easier to use the hand chain saw than the axe, less energy used !

I'm pretty sure it's RC Trading in Warragul, where are you? They may deliver or they may have an outlet near you!
Bruks is the name of them and they are from Sweden, surely there's someone in Au making them??
All the best...
The only press I have is a manual pump action hydraulic, so no good for smithing. For shorter trips, I would normally take the chainsaw, where a full tank is enough till we get back. This time we're planning an extended trip and I don't want to carry extra petrol. The bowsaw will cut a lot but there are times an axe is still the best tool. I don't know what we'll come across and I'd like to be as prepared as practical. For splitting wood I have my homemade "machete" and splitting wedges. I made the machete about 35 years ago from about 5mm plate steel with the edge built up using hardfacing welding rods and it's never needed resharpening. You can put a 6mm bolt on the anvil and chop it through with one whack. The only sign it'll leave on the edge is a polished mark where it went through the bolt.

Warragul is about an hour to a half drive from home but I don't want to make a special trip there just to check out an axe. There must be something decent available from around here somewhere. I will do a search for Bruks though.

I bought a Fiskars X27 axe (from Bunnings) and can't rate it highly enough. Chops into wood like nothing I've ever had before. Obviously not as effective as my Stihl but needs less fuel and is a fair bit quieter.

It's also got a decent amount of weight. When I take a good swing at a section I've cut from a log, it usually only needs the one hit to cut through.
I have an old Plumb axe, nice old style tool.
But for a brand new axe you can’t go past a Fiskars, I have the tomahawk and a splitter, They are nice in the hands

Latest posts

Back