What Stereo is this?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purple_banana

Reaction score
Hi all, new member here, picked up a D40 yesterday. My first pick-up truck!

I'm interested in retro-fitting an AndroidAuto/CarPlay unit for BT audio, modern SatNav, reversing camera etc. Please can anyone tell me the model number or name for this type of unit? It seems every D40 I have looked at in the last few days had a different stereo/AC set-up! Alternatively before I go exploring behind the dash, can anyone confirm the wiring harness and connector(s) are standard across the different variations?

Also, does anyone have any advice/anecdotes/recommendations for retrofitting such a device?

Many thanks in advance
PB

Attachments

• IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
No idea, but is that a CD slot down below the AC controls? Looks like you’ll need a new dash fascia to get rid of all the buttons too.

What year model and trim spec is your D40? What country are you in? Looks to be an upmarket model and not one I’ve seen in Aussie models - but I’m not familiar with the ones that came with factory sat Nav.

No idea, but is that a CD slot down below the AC controls? Looks like you’ll need a new dash fascia to get rid of all the buttons too.

What year model and trim spec is your D40? What country are you in? Looks to be an upmarket model and not one I’ve seen in Aussie models - but I’m not familiar with the ones that came with factory sat Nav.

Yeah that's right, it's a 6-CD Changer between the 2WD/4WD selector and the AC controls. I haven't attempted to take it apart yet (I think that is going to be my best option at this point), but from what I can tell, the facia from the screen down to the AC controls is separate from the CD Changer/drive controls, so replacing it wouldn't delete the CD changer, but I think it's unobtrusive enough to be able to ignore for the time being.

I'm looking at something like this, which is the Android unit and fascia, although I might need to get a bit creative with the AC controls ;) (3D Printer). And it looks as though I'd need to source the upper cubby & lid

It's a 2008 "Long Way Down Expedition Aventura" spec for the UK market.

1653302817547.png

Nope, nothing like mine. Mine had a factory "Radio with clock and stuff ya that's all ya get" but we optioned for a 7" Pioneer navigation system. It ran Windows, so it was slow - we'd be past the intersection it wanted us to turn at. Nope, nope, out ya go.

After two other cheap eBay units we put a Pumpkin unit in and I'll never do that again. Bastards crippled the BT audio so I can't stream audio from my phone to the head unit. It gets better: I can buy (from them only) an adapter that restores this feature! You bunch of mongrels!

The top unit looks like a normal 7" unit. I'd pop the console out, pull the radio out and give it a bit of a measure (make sure you mark where the screws go first, just in case). Armed with those - and a photo of the wiring harness connectors - you could visit a car sound system store and see what they had to offer.

Re that harness: in Australia, there's a mob that makes standard Nissan -> ISO adapters which is what I have in my car now. These standard ISO adapters plug straight into most 3rd party head units. That should solve your problem, but when you're pulling things out, make sure you note which wire is for the handbrake and reverse signals (you'll understand why when you're trying to install the new radio).

Well it took a couple of trips to the scrap yard to get all the bits I needed, but the conversion is complete. Plus an Apple Carplay double-din unit, DAB aerial, reversing cam. We also got an Alpha canopy (in need of some TLC), carpeted the bed and fitted dog crates!

Quite a transformation over the long bank holiday weekend we just had in the UK!

Really enjoying the truck, already looking for inspiration for the next changes 😂

before:
2CE371B2-1605-4445-AF51-487A659C9E4C.jpeg
:
After
81D261FF-905C-4193-B670-2CB4C996C12F.jpeg
B8EE6E48-533F-4EF6-977C-5CF37BA1B248.jpeg
A87F572F-79B4-4489-AFEE-9A73D12D611E.jpeg

Latest posts

Back