What is this part

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StinkRotten

Reaction score
Can anyone help me identify the part that I have circled in my pics, also what does that part do? The vehicle is a 2009 D22 2.5L CR. Thanks in advance for your help
IMG_20220111_210410.jpg
IMG_20220111_210346.jpg

I'm no expert and don't have one of those models but that sure looks like a throttle body to me. The big clues are the hose bringing in the air from the intercooler and the pipe from the crankcase ventilation system.

I meant to write fly by wire.
ok make that no "fly by wire" throttle body.
they don't have throttle bodies.

most variable turbo diesels do not have a throttle body because the turbo increases the exhaust back pressure to push more egr in rather than use a throttle body, like the zd30 does, to lower boost pressure to 'suck' more egr in.
however some engines may have a intake butterfly to shut the air off on engine shutdown or engine runaway.

most variable turbo diesels do not have a throttle body because the turbo increases the exhaust back pressure to push more egr in rather than use a throttle body, like the zd30 does, to lower boost pressure to 'suck' more egr in.
however some engines may have a intake butterfly to shut the air off on engine shutdown or engine runaway.
Ok fine it’s just fly by wire. And an egr valve . Happy

For clarity, the photo taken from the from of the car does have the EGR valve circled. The photo taken from the side has the throttle body circled. On my model at least, there is a butterfly valve inside the throttle body. The EGR valve is a pollution control device and plays no part in the throttle function, as is clearly evidenced by the throttle working exactly the same when EGR blanking plates are used.

Whether or not the same applies to other models I have no idea.

For clarity, the photo taken from the from of the car does have the EGR valve circled. The photo taken from the side has the throttle body circled. On my model at least, there is a butterfly valve inside the throttle body. The EGR valve is a pollution control device and plays no part in the throttle function, as is clearly evidenced by the throttle working exactly the same when EGR blanking plates are used.

Whether or not the same applies to other models I have no idea.
what is circled is the same egr valve.
the D40's afaik have a shutdown butterfly, the only time it does anything is when engine is shutoff or possibly overrun. i'm not to sure where they have it in the inlet tract.
none of them have a throttle body as such. even on the zd30 its only used for egr and engine shutoff, not for throttle control.

the only diesel i've seen that ran a throttle was an old forklift that uses air pressure across the butterfly to control fuel injection. thats to make the engine run smooth. the other nearest to that is 90's toyotas that uses a throttle body, complete with throttle cable, and even then thats all to do with controlling egr. the fueling is all ecu controlled.

the electronic mechanism that operates that flap gave me a lot of grief on a previous car ,the plastic segment gear would loose a tooth causing the flap to behave irrationally, car would go into limp mode , disconnected the power supply to it and car ran normal, until i got a replacement part

the electronic mechanism that operates that flap gave me a lot of grief on a previous car ,the plastic segment gear would loose a tooth causing the flap to behave irrationally, car would go into limp mode , disconnected the power supply to it and car ran normal, until i got a replacement part
that sounds more like the egr valve. the electric motor in the pics above operates the egr.
most intake butterflies are vacuum operated as thats substantially cheaper for simple on/off operation.

with petrol engines you get electric motor operated fly by wire throttle bodies.

It looks like the auto industries version of the human caterpillar ;)

It's the poo pipe, the one where they force feed it too eat their own shite! Egr crap..

The more I see the later models, the more I love the ZD... Piss it all off and run water meth injection.. hillbillies "add blue" ;)

If i ever finally get it done..I'm going to stick Add Blue sticker on the container bottle and a drop of blue food dye in the solution.. if I get pulled for egr delete,,, that's going to be my defence lol its got add blue officeslerrr ;)

It looks like the auto industries version of the human caterpillar ;)

It's the poo pipe, the one where they force feed it too eat their own shite! Egr crap..

The more I see the later models, the more I love the ZD... Piss it all off and run water meth injection.. hillbillies "add blue" ;)

If i ever finally get it done..I'm going to stick Add Blue sticker on the container bottle and a drop of blue food dye in the solution.. if I get pulled for egr delete,,, that's going to be my defence lol its got add blue officeslerrr ;)
Interesting concept, except that then you'll not only subject yourself to the charge of modifying the anti-pollution system, you could also face fraud charges. You just need to come across that one cop in a hundred that is actually aware of these things.

Yeahhhhokkk... Thanks for the imput Smokey... noted...

one in a hundred lol you're kind lol any of that area are either dead, in prison on child molestation chargers or sitting behind a desk.. one in a hundred lol

Interesting concept, except that then you'll not only subject yourself to the charge of modifying the anti-pollution system, you could also face fraud charges. You just need to come across that one cop in a hundred that is actually aware of these things.

Hi everyone thanks for your replies, they were helpful. The reason I was wanting to know what that part is is because my vehicle lost power/boost. The engine still runs smoothly when it is idling and when stationary being revved up. The problem is when it is under load there seems to be no power/boost as if it is in limp mode. By the look of it [email protected] may have had a similar problem. When I switch off the engine it turns off straight away as normal and then after a short delay I hear a very audible double click/clunking sound (which I have never heard before) coming from the part that I circled, therefore I was wondering if that part being faulty is what the issue could be?

Latest posts

Back