Wading depth navara D40

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twoshoes

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that the wading depth of the navara is 450mm? Is this a result of a electrical issue or the need for breathers

It depends how you're equipped. With a wading bra, snorkel and approached in the correct manner, we've had river water lapping the windscreen (43mm lift from standard on front, 85mm on rear). Ours is the YD25 diesel, the petrol version would not fair as well without considerable care in the engine bay.

You need to pay attention to gearbox, transfer and diff breathers. If driven gently before the river crossing, dive straight in, otherwise (as usually happens) you need to wait for a couple of minutes before entering the water so that both the turbocharger and the brakes can cool a little. Particularly with some of the mountain streams we've tackled - what cracks a disc rotor is temperature differential.

Don't know if there is a given depth it can go through. Some makes do mention this in their advertising blurp. As Tony mentioned there is a lot variables. How much lift, does it have a snorkel, extended diff, transfer and gearbox breathers....

If the vehicle is stock standard I personalty wouldn't be going over 450mm.

I have a genuine snorkel (which i had to properly seal) on mine but it's there for that just incase situation. I'll take the cheat track every time.

If your not crossing a creek or river that is known knowen and not regularly forded. Well you know the saying "if it's flooded forget it" as you do not know what lays under. Could be washed away, might look still on top but under, particularly if the wind and current are in the same direction have a strong flow.

Being from Queensland you know to well how many that are rescued and lost their lives every year in flood waters.

Yes not interested in raging torrents etc! More interested in Gibb River Road as we have 12 months leave in 2018 and planning for the Kimberley has commenced! I have the factory snorkel - so how did you properly seal? Was going to get a two inch lift from Zordo and breathers. Thanks for the replies!

i did the Gibb in my 07 d40 a couple years ago in the tail end of the dry, (late september) no snorkel, 2 inch lift, 30 inch tires, stock transfer and gearbox breathers, extended diff breathers and had no problems, the pentacost river was only 30-40 cm deep and was an easy crossing, some of the streams in El questro where deeper, but not much,

take 2 spares though, i tore open 2 tires in 30 km at bells, went and saw Nev at over the range he sorted me out

seriously take 2 spares

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back