V9X knocking Any guesses?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReginaldDregg

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, we have a Navara sitting in the front yard at the moment only got about 130000kms on it. Been out of action for a couple of years after we noticed a knocking and not being able to find a second hand motor to we can afford yet, seems to be very few about. Sent it to a couple of mechanics who didn't really want much to do with it. Any guesses what the issue sounds like?

Just looking at options to revive the poor thing cos we loved it while it was running. Found a supplier in VIC with rebuild kits, still don't know if I'll find a shop who wants the work or if it would be any cheaper than the cost of a second hand engine.

I don't have high hopes...

Cheers,
Jesse

Last edited:
It's a serious knock, isn't it?

It could be the main bearings, but could also be the cooling fan hitting a jagged chunk of the plastic guard that's appeared through some odd damage. I'd bet the former though, because if it were something really easy a mechanic would take the job. I don't think it's the timing chains, but that's a possibility too.

Mains aren't easy. You may be able to do the V9X from underneath. If you're going to repair the engine, make absolutely certain that you choose good quality main bearings.

The first thing to do though is find out where that knocking is coming from. If you put a mechanic's stethoscope to the sump and it's super loud, it's your mains. If that's not it, examine the front of the engine.

Why: we've had reports of V9X main bearing failures before, never heard of any issues with V9X timing chains (only YD25 seems to have an issue with timing chains).

Thanks for the reply.
I'm not the mechanically minded one in the family, but my brother and a mate both had a quick look and also suspect main bearings.
Silly question, but say it was the main bearings and they could be done from underneath, could they be done on their own, or would the whole engine be riddled with rubbish too?

There might be junk distributed throughout the motor but the pump should have a filter to keep most of the crap out of the rest of the engine so particulates should be residing in the bottom of the sump.

If it's just the mains - and that is possible - you could just do those. However, you might consider - while the crank is out and the pistons too - do a full set of big ends, check gudgeons, piston rings - don't forget the main seals. That will give you peace of mind that you've either checked these and are happy, or you've replaced them (and are happy with a lighter wallet).

You might consider running a flush treatment through the engine once you've replaced the bearings. I think there's little point doing it beforehand, because if the bearings are shedding, they'll do so with the flush stuff in anyway and since the engine flush breaks down the oil, none of the surfaces will be protected. Flush it afterwards (before taking the vehicle for a test drive) then change the oil and filter one final time.

Latest posts

Back