V9X Engine Failure??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'Day Adhaul,
What a mission your rebuild was. Big respect to your determination.
I have always said the V9X is an absolute cracker engine....when it's working.

When our V9X failed, it was 2 or 3 main symptoms.
1. Loud-ish knocking sound from engine with rise/fall in-line with RPM. Sound faded as engine warmed up.
2. Significant oil loss (and pooling on the ground) from bell housing area.
3. No noticeable loss of power (wtf?)
4. No CEL....(not until a week later anyway)

So my questions are:

- How/why would a spun bearing cause significant oil loss?
Is it because the failed bearings have allowed enough axial crank movement to upset the rear seal?

- Is it possible that metal fragments damaged the rear seal?

- When you stripped it down, where exactly was the oil escaping the block?

- Were all of the main bearings buggered?....or just one or two?

- Was there any damage to anything upstairs? (crowns, valves, cams etc?)

I know you probably never want to talk about that engine again, but I'd much appreciate any info regarding diagnosis.
It might save a lot of time pulling the engine down if we know it's likely a lost cause.
I am planning to do a better inspection when I get time....but so bloody busy with other things lately.

Well there’s never a simple answer, firstly yes - due to an oil leak when installing the timing cover, should’ve been more careful. However the starting issue is resolved and it came down to the “condom” Cap on the primer connector, I was priming, but before attempting to start removing the primer but not fitting the condom back on this allows air straight back in - attention to the detail, oh and if you need one there are none in Australian Nissan network
Hallo! I'm having a similar problem, only I'm a pathfinder. Could you send a picture of the faulty connection? I don't really understand what condom caps mean. thx

Hallo! I'm having a similar problem, only I'm a pathfinder. Could you send a picture of the faulty connection? I don't really understand what condom caps mean. thx
Im also having the same problem except i primed it non stop for 3 hours cranked it while using start ya bastard still nothing, if im getring even the smallest bubbles of air will this stop it from starting? I also tried starting while someone was priming

G'Day Adhaul,
What a mission your rebuild was. Big respect to your determination.
I have always said the V9X is an absolute cracker engine....when it's working.

When our V9X failed, it was 2 or 3 main symptoms.
1. Loud-ish knocking sound from engine with rise/fall in-line with RPM. Sound faded as engine warmed up.
2. Significant oil loss (and pooling on the ground) from bell housing area.
3. No noticeable loss of power (wtf?)
4. No CEL....(not until a week later anyway)

So my questions are:

- How/why would a spun bearing cause significant oil loss?
Is it because the failed bearings have allowed enough axial crank movement to upset the rear seal?

- Is it possible that metal fragments damaged the rear seal?

- When you stripped it down, where exactly was the oil escaping the block?

- Were all of the main bearings buggered?....or just one or two?

- Was there any damage to anything upstairs? (crowns, valves, cams etc?)

I know you probably never want to talk about that engine again, but I'd much appreciate any info regarding diagnosis.
It might save a lot of time pulling the engine down if we know it's likely a lost cause.
I am planning to do a better inspection when I get time....but so bloody busy with other things lately.

Update - Engine is now out!! No leaks from turbo area or valley area - which is absolutely bizarre given the volume of fluid dropping on the ground at idle for only 2 minutes. The oil seems to "magically" appear from about halfway up the bell housing, starter motor out, now it's pretty wet inside, so am assuming that the rear main seal is leaking. Now given the "rattle" and 220,000km I think it's wise to strip the engine down and rebuild, plus the blow by is pretty high even for a diesel.
Looking for special tools; cam timing etc: any suggestions can't seem to find any suppliers in Australia suggestions please. Also ant suggestions on rebuild specs I've got the online manual which refers to the SDS but the bearing clearances are not in the details, again any suggestions for that info would be appreciated.
Hi
What is engine remove process like
Thanks

Latest posts

Back