Using a massive bolt to stop drag link flex and stop wandering on the d22.....?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StockAppy

Reaction score
Ok so i figured out the reason why both wheels can move individually left to right when im 4x4ing, thats because when one of the wheels pulls left or right because of my 3 inch suspension lift it actually pushed the drag link up and down a bit rather than left to right to accomodate, which allows my wheels to be facing slightly different directions at the same time over different terrain.

my question is this, if i bolt the drag link to the steering arms ( not sure what the are called ) instead of having a ball joint there, to stop the drag link going up and down, will that effect the facing of the tyres under different flex per side... ie, if left front is going over a mound, and right front is in a dip, and the drag link cant flex up and down, only left and right to turn steering, will my tires be facing slightly different angles because the length of the tie rods to the wheel changes depending on where the suspension is in its travel?

i hope that makes sense....

Heard of a bloke using this. Replaces idler/pitman arm eye with a roller bearing type set up.

I am currently doing a very similar sett up to my d22. replacing the plastic bushing with hardened steel needle bearings and sorting out the ball joint sloppiness. i will let yous no how i go

Draglink Upgrade

Ok so i have finished the repairs for the d22 steering and wheel alignment. Repacked both front wheel bearing and turns out one of my locking hub bearings had half its bearings missing and the rest were worn so i got a new hub, disassembled the center drag link replaced worn bush with needle bearings (took a bit of machining) reassembled welded and greased both ends, installed polyurethane bushes in idler arm and welded up a idler arm brace out of some angle i had. All in all everything seems great now i havent had any slop in the draglink or anywhere else. Very happy with the outcome. I may be able to start making these heavy duty replacement parts like the Needle Bearing Drag link upgrade etc if anyone is interested??

Attachments

• IMG_2743.jpg
    IMG_2743.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 711
  • IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2746.jpg
    211 KB · Views: 1,599
  • IMG_2745.jpg
    IMG_2745.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 1,355
  • IMG_2683.jpg
    IMG_2683.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 600
Ok so i have finished the repairs for the d22 steering and wheel alignment. Repacked both front wheel bearing and turns out one of my locking hub bearings had half its bearings missing and the rest were worn so i got a new hub, disassembled the center drag link replaced worn bush with needle bearings (took a bit of machining) reassembled welded and greased both ends, installed polyurethane bushes in idler arm and welded up a idler arm brace out of some angle i had. All in all everything seems great now i havent had any slop in the draglink or anywhere else. Very happy with the outcome. I may be able to start making these heavy duty replacement parts like the Needle Bearing Drag link upgrade etc if anyone is interested??

What gave you the idea to change the bushes for needle bearings?? Looks the goods sounds like i could be interested as my Draglink i thnk may need some attention.

there's a guy in Aussie 4wd D22 group "facebook" who welded piece of brackets on his drag link which Apparently improved his steering whilst wheeling

What gave you the idea to change the bushes for needle bearings?? Looks the goods sounds like i could be interested as my Draglink i thnk may need some attention.

Well i stripped my drag link ends apart and checked out what made it loose and noticed the bush was worn out so i decided to go something more bulletproof like the heavy duty needle bearings. A small note only one side has a bush witch lets it spin and the other end is a greasable pivoting ball joint. I was able to machine the ball joint so it was smooth and then put it all back together and weld the caps back on. This mod requires real precision when machining and installing parts so the bearings are not to tight or loose. If anyone is interested i can repair your old worn out drag link bars as long as they are not to fare gone if you are interested message me. :)

Last edited:
On my 2nd PS draglink in 14mnths lol. Heard of someone else machining a new one.

what went wrong with your first one?

I have a creaking/clicking noise coming from my steering, I suspect it could be the PS draglink ends or being caused by it.

I'm not sure its great for the steering box and idler arm as any minor misalignment will cause a bit of stress, perhaps there was a good reason Nissan used a swivel only and a ball joint rather than 2 swivel only joints.

Not sure yet, jury is still out on this one.

Pitman arm side joint just flogged out. They sent a replacement out but just don't think they are the answer either still better than stock though.

what went wrong with your first one?

I have a creaking/clicking noise coming from my steering, I suspect it could be the PS draglink ends or being caused by it.

I'm not sure its great for the steering box and idler arm as any minor misalignment will cause a bit of stress, perhaps there was a good reason Nissan used a swivel only and a ball joint rather than 2 swivel only joints.

Not sure yet, jury is still out on this one.
I had that same clicking in steering. They didn't want to know anything about it. Blamed the steering wheel for wear, though it started immediately after draglink install.

That's said clicking seems to have stopped after few months, not sure that's good or bad lol.

I had that same clicking in steering. They didn't want to know anything about it. Blamed the steering wheel for wear, though it started immediately after draglink install.

That's said clicking seems to have stopped after few months, not sure that's good or bad lol.
Well its not the wheel.

I had a quick look while a mate turned the wheel back and forth, could hear it coming from somewhere around the draglink area, but i need to take bashplates off to have a better look, also hard to pinpoint the sound with the engine running.

Also i have only noticed the sound lately, been installed for 10 months.

Back